starting strength gym

Thread: OptimalAmino / PerfectAmino

Default OptimalAmino / PerfectAmino

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm curious what people here think of the optimized blends of proteins sold under brand names such as OptimalAmino and PerfectAmino. The claim from those products is that they have blends formulated with just the perfect proportion of aminos, so that most of the dose is used for actual muscle building and very little is left over (to become empty calories).

Of course they are quite expensive but that's not really the issue here, partly because if the claim is true you can take much smaller doses.

Thanks!

That's based on the lie that you don't absorb the protein you consume. You absorb 100% of it.

No, that's not quite the claim.

News to me.

The claim is that a portion of the protein you eat does not get used in muscle building but instead is converted to glucose. They claim that their product, because of a precise ratio of AA, gets converted in muscle at close to 100% whereas why only is utilized at 18%, meat at 32%, eggs at 48%, etc.

You do realize that they can't actually measure this right?

I don't realize anything; I'm posting here to get information. They show tons of research on their page but I don't have the background to assess it.

The claim is that those numbers are based on net protein utilization, as calculated based on "nitrogen waste" (I'm paraphrasing, and no, I don't know how that's measured).

A cursory search on Google suggests that this can actually be measured, and that yes, the body does need amino acids in a specific ratio to build lean tissue but that's all I can find. There's something called PDCAAS that seems linked to this subject, but it's an "official" scale and I'm sure it's dumbed down.

It also seems very, very strange to me that their advertising chart lumps whey in with soy and nuts. But hey, neat story they're telling!

Those are acute measures and do not correlate with changes in body composition. There are a lot, and I mean a lot of assumptions with those methods.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    It also seems very, very strange to me that their advertising chart lumps whey in with soy and nuts. But hey, neat story they're telling!
    Of course. Let's use data we did not collect, assume that the person collecting it did so honestly, assume those who reviewed the written account of the data collection and data analysis did not request changes that could alter the conclusions, and cite it as evidence despite all of this along with the narrow applicability of the methods used to collect said data.