starting strength gym

Thread: Underweight vs. Overweight Trainee and BMI

Default Underweight vs. Overweight Trainee and BMI

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've read the sections in Starting Strength and Practical Programming discussing the underweight trainee and overweight trainee as they are starting NLP several times. When I was starting out I was clearly in the underweight trainee category being 6'4" and 165 lbs. I'm now an intermediate trainee at 240 lbs. Last year I helped a friend at the start of her NLP. This year I have a female and male that are interested in working with me to help them out at the start.

The problem that I have in those sections of the books is that not all trainees will neatly fit into those categories. Would it help to classify someone as in the "underweight" category if their BMI is say 20 or less and classify someone as in the "overweight" category if their BMI is 30 or above? This is something that is easy to classify and fairly accurate for the untrained individuals and it is then very clearly discussed how they should eat in each category. Also, what about people in between 20 and 30 BMI? If they are between 20 and 25 they probably eat with a caloric surplus, but not nearly as much as the underweight folks? If they are between 25 and 30, maybe they don't need a caloric surplus at all, but they make sure to hit their target for protein based on their bodyweight and to have enough carbs to train? All lifters need to make sure to hit their protein based on their weight and have enough carbs to train, but the overweight folks have the least amount of carbs at the start and the underweight the most, and others falling somewhere in-between on the spectrum.

Or would it be better to look at the height and sex of the trainee and look to the powerlifting weight classes for guidance? If they do plan to compete or just want to perform closest to their potential, then they aim for what weight class they would naturally fit in best. If they are serious about training, but not to the point where they are this competitive, then back off a little bit on where they would fit in that weight class.

BMI is useful for an untrained client. If they are under 30 they probably can afford to gain weight, with more weight to be gained the lower that number is. The stronger they get the less valid and reliable BMI is.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    BMI is useful for an untrained client. If they are under 30 they probably can afford to gain weight, with more weight to be gained the lower that number is. The stronger they get the less valid and reliable BMI is.
    Thanks. That makes sense.

You are welcome.