starting strength gym

Thread: Suggested rate of weight gain for an advanced natural lifter

Default Suggested rate of weight gain for an advanced natural lifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For someone who is currently at a reasonable level of body fat and has several years of training, roughly what monthly percentage bodyweight increase would result in equal increases in lean body mass ("LBM) and fat? While it would be great if one could gain a lot of muscle quickly and add minimal body fat, for someone that has long since realized novice gains and isn't using chemical enhancements that isn't realistic.

Now that I'm in my 60's, I know adding LBM will be much harder than when I was younger. For me, it seems like small amounts of excess calories, more along the lines of an added glass of milk or a cup of fruit than a gallon of milk would be appropriate.
    Does a gain in weight of about a pound a month seem reasonable? I've tried faster weight gains before, but that resulted in more fat than muscle mass gains and relatively small strength gains.

As much as is necessary to drive the weight on the bar up. A truly advanced lifter won't see as much weight change as a rank novice because muscle mass is approaching ceiling effects as are the lifts. I don't think you need to pay attention to the weight on the scale nearly as much and put more of your focus towards weight on the bar and the food necessary to increase it. The weight gain will be a side effect and you will know if you are gaining too much of the wrong kind of weight.

Thank you very much!

Since gains at best occur on a three week cycle, it's harder to tell what works and what doesn't than it would be for someone newer to the sport. Although there has been some longer term progress since I switched from maintenance mode a few years ago, advances occur very slowly.

I had hoped for a 500 pound deadlift at 70, but surgery to remove a large mass from one leg last year makes me a lot less confident than I was before. Still, I am determined to make as much progress as possible and I am not willing to accept that I can't at least recover fully.

That would be a fine feat if you pull it off. May as well keep trying. It's not like you are going to just stop and maintain. We are always working towards something.