starting strength gym

Thread: Sudden reduction of appetite

Default Sudden reduction of appetite

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert. Is it normal to go through phases with lower appetite than normal?

It's been two weeks since I can't eat as much as I did before. Probably I'm eating 400kcal less per day. I lost 2 kilos in 2 weeks. Today it was the first time that I noticed an impact, I lost strength in my volume bench session.

Everything it's in order, sleep, stress.

I'm 32 years old, weighing normally 98kg, now 96Kg.

Are you sick? How tall are you? How much are you lifting? How active are you outside of the gym?

I've noticed over the years the when I push extremely hard in the gym my appetite also goes awry. On the other hand I am extremely active and work outdoors to say the least. Liquid calories are your friend IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Are you sick? How tall are you? How much are you lifting? How active are you outside of the gym?
    Hi Robert, thanks for answering. After carful examination of my eating habits I found that what was happening.

I started observing what happened when I ate certain foods, what effect it had on me. And the culprit was eggs in the morning.

I don't know why that happens to me now. I've been eating the same breakfast for more than 2 years: 4 scrambled eggs and 50g of low fat cheese.

When I eat scrambled eggs now, it sits on my stomach like a brick (affecting how much I eat the rest of the day), sometimes I can't even finish the eggs even though I could've been terribly hungry.

I swapped the eggs for just cereal, milk and whey. Same number of calories and protein. Now I got my appetite back, I would even say that I'm eating more than before. That I know of, I don't have an egg intolerance. It is strange that I cannot tolerate them all of a sudden.

Anyway thanks your consideration!

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Hi Robert, thanks for answering. After carful examination of my eating habits I found that what was happening.

I started observing what happened when I ate certain foods, what effect it had on me. And the culprit was eggs in the morning.

I don't know why that happens to me now. I've been eating the same breakfast for more than 2 years: 4 scrambled eggs and 50g of low fat cheese.

When I eat scrambled eggs now, it sits on my stomach like a brick (affecting how much I eat the rest of the day), sometimes I can't even finish the eggs even though I could've been terribly hungry.

I swapped the eggs for just cereal, milk and whey. Same number of calories and protein. Now I got my appetite back, I would even say that I'm eating more than before. That I know of, I don't have an egg intolerance. It is strange that I cannot tolerate them all of a sudden.

Anyway thanks your consideration!
    Covid did a number on my ability to eat eggs, started with them tasting horrible for the first time in my life, that slowly faded though I am far from excited to try and eat them any more, it did affect the way they sit with me too, at least from anecdotal experience. If I eat a few eggs in the morning its all I can do to have an appetite by 11:30/12 when it's time to eat again.

Totally anecdotal, but you may have caught a mild case sometime in the past few months, it's a weird disease, it was made in a lab after all.

That is quite interesting. Did either of you change the types of eggs you were eating? Sasha - have you correlated this with COVID19?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    That is quite interesting. Did either of you change the types of eggs you were eating? Sasha - have you correlated this with COVID19?
    I'm afraid not, is not correlated in my case. I have never tested positive for COVID19. Regarding the eggs, I've been buying the same brand for years.

What else do you eat with them? Have you switched brands?

Sasha, did you change anything with your programming? I have noticed that my appetite mirrors what I'm doing in the gym. When I switched to a less demanding form of programming a few months ago, I found I didn't want to eat as much.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    Sasha, did you change anything with your programming? I have noticed that my appetite mirrors what I'm doing in the gym. When I switched to a less demanding form of programming a few months ago, I found I didn't want to eat as much.
    I tend to be hungrier on high intensity/low volume. High volume, lower intensity is much easier to eat less on. By high volume I mean >5 reps per set. 5 or less done heavy and I must eat a lot.