starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight gain stall

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Start counting macros. Carb intake is important. Counting protein and calories is not sufficient until you are dialed into a productive routine. You can accurately count carbohydrates and protein. Fat not so much. If you don't enjoy eating then you'll have to get used to eating through fullness. Eating 5-6x a day versus fewer larger meals stimulates the appetite more though.
    Just popping in to second all of this. Carbs are king. Fat fails to fuel workouts. Extra carbs the day before a workout can cause it to be easier than you expected it to be. More meals means you can get more food in. Space them out by like 2-3 hours. It may seem like you are eating so much right now, but when your lifting actually starts to get challenging, your maintenance level ends up much higher than it would be if you were sedentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I believe it. Problem is you'll be starving for more of the same.
    Absolutely. I tried it with Pringles onion sour cream, ended up eating half the can. Then I regretted because that same money could buy me 1,5 litre of whole milk.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Just popping in to second all of this. Carbs are king. Fat fails to fuel workouts. Extra carbs the day before a workout can cause it to be easier than you expected it to be. More meals means you can get more food in. Space them out by like 2-3 hours. It may seem like you are eating so much right now, but when your lifting actually starts to get challenging, your maintenance level ends up much higher than it would be if you were sedentary.
    That has been my experience with it. More meals is better when I am gaining. If I am losing I prefer less because I'm less hungry on fewer, but larger, meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Huy Huynh View Post
    Absolutely. I tried it with Pringles onion sour cream, ended up eating half the can. Then I regretted because that same money could buy me 1,5 litre of whole milk.
    It's never enough and the milk will go further.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I've heard a lot of good ideas here that I can try out.

1) - Have more frequent, smaller meals to help boost appetite (5-6 meals a day as opposed to 3-4 bigger ones)
    2) - Maybe have a bite of a snack before I eat to stimulate appetite
    3) - Try and focus on carb intake over fat

starting strength coach development program
    That's right. Get it done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12