starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain stall

Default Weight gain stall

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing SS properly for about 7 weeks now. I'm 6'1, currently weigh 178lbs (started the program at 159lbs), and the weight gain has come to a crawl. Initially, I was starving after every workout. I would eat incessantly all day, and gain weight like it was nothing. Now, my appetite is vanishing, and even though my workouts are getting harder, I find myself unable to gain more than .5lb - 1lb per week at best.

Is this normal? I just woke up after having slept 8.5 hours after eating a ribeye steak last night, and my weight is almost unchanged from what it was last Friday. I haven't stalled on any of the lifts, and am doing everything I can to bulk throughout the program. If there's an upper limit on what my weight to be, it would at least be 220+, so I want to gain another 40lbs. What strategies can I employ to help me?

You clearly need to eat more food than what you are eating now. Do you have any idea where your calories and macros are and/or a food record of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You clearly need to eat more food than what you are eating now. Do you have any idea where your calories and macros are and/or a food record of some sort?

I don't count macros, but I count calories - I've been having a minimum of 3000 a day.

My breakfast is as follows - pancakes with protein powder in them, with a tall glass of chocolate milk,

For lunch I use a GNC mass gainer (700 calories, 50g protein per serving) mixed with two glasses of milk, totalling 1000 calories,

I'll make sure to have snacks such as popcorn, chocolate, and candy throughout the day. For dinner I'll have something protein rich such as chicken or steak, served with a side of rice.

My main issue has been the lack of hunger in the morning. For example, I find myself not wanting to finish the pancakes, or I'll drink 3/4 of the protein shake rather than the entire thing. Any tips on increasing appetite?

Start counting macros. Carb intake is important. Counting protein and calories is not sufficient until you are dialed into a productive routine. You can accurately count carbohydrates and protein. Fat not so much. If you don't enjoy eating then you'll have to get used to eating through fullness. Eating 5-6x a day versus fewer larger meals stimulates the appetite more though.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanvolcano24 View Post
    I'll make sure to have snacks such as popcorn, chocolate, and candy throughout the day.
    I would bet that this is killing your appetite. Try to replace sugary snacks with real food.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I would bet that this is killing your appetite. Try to replace sugary snacks with real food.
    Usually it stimulates it because all of that is empty and unsatisfying.

How about if the OP replaces chocolate with peanut butter as a snack?

Quote Originally Posted by ethanvolcano24 View Post
    I've been doing SS properly for about 7 weeks now. I'm 6'1, currently weigh 178lbs (started the program at 159lbs), and the weight gain has come to a crawl. Initially, I was starving after every workout. I would eat incessantly all day, and gain weight like it was nothing. Now, my appetite is vanishing, and even though my workouts are getting harder, I find myself unable to gain more than .5lb - 1lb per week at best.

Is this normal? I just woke up after having slept 8.5 hours after eating a ribeye steak last night, and my weight is almost unchanged from what it was last Friday. I haven't stalled on any of the lifts, and am doing everything I can to bulk throughout the program. If there's an upper limit on what my weight to be, it would at least be 220+, so I want to gain another 40lbs. What strategies can I employ to help me?
    I have used THC products the past few months to replace alcohol in the evenings and to stimulate appetite, works wonders. If it is legal where you are I would recommend it if you aren't up to suffering through extra meals to get your calories where they need to be. Just be disciplined af and don't eat shit food, use it to help you get that 12 oz steak and white rice down the ole gullet when you don't otherwise feel like eating.
    I'm 6'2" and went from 195-240 pretty easy just eating big and was always starving, after 240 though I needed help to get to 255 and stay there.

White rice is also great for your main carb, I have found it processes through the body quicker than most other carbs.

Stan Efferding recommends eating a single Dorito or two 1 hr before your next meal, says you will be starving. Haven't tried it yet, but I need to.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller1991 View Post
    Stan Efferding recommends eating a single Dorito or two 1 hr before your next meal, says you will be starving. Haven't tried it yet, but I need to.
    I believe it. Problem is you'll be starving for more of the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast