starting strength gym

Thread: Fasting in the Barbell Prescription

Default Fasting in the Barbell Prescription

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First things first, I am 22, 6' ft, 200lbs, and I live in Florida (if thats relevant). This post is anecdotal and meant to draw out opinions and experiences of anyone who would like to voice a thought. I'm not trying to make more work for the moderators of this forum (There is not a specific question that needs answering).

I'm rereading the Barbell Prescription and at one point Dr. Sullivan talks about combining strength training, conditioning, and "Periodic Fasting" to create a complete and powerful recipe for health and longevity. Now the first two are discussed at length and are thoroughly dissected by the good doctor but the third in the list doesn't receive another mention. I understand that fasting is hardly the focus of the book but it was very pleasing to see that he included it in his list of powerful tools against aging. I understand that Intermittent fasting or time restricted feeding are not typically good to couple with strength training as they make it more difficult to enter a sufficient caloric surplus.

I tested positive for Covid on 01/02/22 and managed (for the most part) to just train through it (home gym is a godsend). Since then I have religiously eaten 5k+ calories, with an average protein intake of 255 grams a day. This is exhausting, expensive, and time consuming. I'm going to keep doing it anyway. That being said, after almost 6 months and 800,000 calories or so I decided to give my body a little reset.

On 06/10 (friday) I finished my intensity workout for the week and PR'd on squats with 320x3x2. Press 115x4x1 (failed). I ate my regular amount of food that day, and each day of the weekend. On 06/12 (Sunday) I stopped eating at 9:00 pm. I fasted for 81 hours, breaking my fast on 06/14 at 6:00 am with bone broth and a banana. This came out to 81 hours without a calorie, my second longest fast ever (84 was my longest). During this time I only lifted once and I put about 50% of the weight I normally would up. I was not trying to adapt just get some blood moving and remember how to squat and such.

In practical programming, they write that than absence from training of less than a week doesn't typically require any remedial action for a novice/most intermediates assuming it is a pleasant absence and not bereavement or illness.

While a fast is pleasant in some ways, it obviously shares a characteristic with our 2 scenarios above that require remedial action.

Now I know that SS isn't really known for fasting but I'm wondering if anyone has experience fasting for an extended period of time and the effect it takes on your training? How long to return to previous baseline? How frequently do you fast? How long do you fast? Why do you fast? What are some of the benefits you enjoy, or drawbacks you don't?

I realize that my programming is subpar and my numbers should be higher. Before I started reading The Barbell Prescription again I went back through PPST and found all kinds of mistakes I made in my LP (among them, too early a transition to intermediate programming). Now that I'm training again I'll be doing a much more linear program and exhausting things I should have before like backoff sets, other rep ranges, a reset or two, and a light squat day. Thanks for reading guys!

1) Why is a 22 year old man concerned with information intended for seniors?
    2) You need another 20 lb of bodyweight.
    3) If you want to fast do it when intensity is on the lower end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    1) Why is a 22 year old man concerned with information intended for seniors?
    2) You need another 20 lb of bodyweight.
    3) If you want to fast do it when intensity is on the lower end of the spectrum.
    1)There are things that only happen when you do not eat, regardless of age. I've been lucky to be born in the only recorded period of time where people have uninterrupted access to nutritionally dense food year-round. My thinking is that my body could benefit from something similar to the natural cycles of feast and famine that my ancestors have been subject to.
    2)Yes sir, absolutely. I've gained 40 pounds since I heard about you guys and will continue to work on that.
    2)Got it, thank you.

You were also born at a time where we aren't dying from infectious diseases at slightly above your current age. While I'm all for battling the toxic food environment we live in today, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Very true. I'll think about it again only after I've gained that 20 pounds lol