starting strength gym

Thread: How many calories?

Default How many calories?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    45 Yo female, 5'8, six weeks into NLP. Her current weight is 150, began about 145.

Her weights were:
    Squat- 75 5x3
    Press- 38 5x3
    DL- 105 5x1
    Bench- 70 5x3 (Artificially high. My inexperience led us to putting enough weight on the bar for her to fail a rep on the first day)

Her weights are now:
    Squat- 157.5 3x5
    Press 63 3x5
    DL 200 5x1
    Bench 92.5 3x5

I'm pleased with this progress (not sure if I should be to be honest, that inexperience keeps popping up)
    We have had lengthily conversations about the importance of food in recovery. She has done very well in terms of eating enough protein but I think she's not getting enough calories.

For instance, we were having a conversation today and she told me that she was at 64 grams of protein for the day and only 640 calories. She also said that her searching on the internet (god help me) has led her to the belief that she should only consume 1500 calories a day. She's having some body image concerns that we're doing our best to sort out.

I believe that she should be consuming between 2200-2500 calories a day. Is that accurate? Are there any particular tips to help dispel her lust for abs?

1500 calories is not unusual for some women. For others it's not enough. 1800 works well for most though. Females don't need as much of a calorie load as males do. This is covered in the blue book and it has been my experience as well. She needs 100 g protein and about 200 g carbohydrates though, which accounts for 1200 calories out the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    1500 calories is not unusual for some women. For others it's not enough. 1800 works well for most though. Females don't need as much of a calorie load as males do. This is covered in the blue book and it has been my experience as well. She needs 100 g protein and about 200 g carbohydrates though, which accounts for 1200 calories out the gate.
    With women, in general, everything is not easy ... Mine complains that her weight ranges from 59 to 63 kg with a height of 169 cm, and she cannot track why these changes in weight occur