starting strength gym

Thread: GOMAD?

Default GOMAD?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been doing my NLP extremely inconsistently for about 8 months now. The first 3 or so months was steady progression but I stalled quickly due to poor recovery from all the vices that come with being a freshman at college. I started skipping workouts and trying to tweak with the program, which I know now is obviously a bad idea. I got home from school back in May and have been taking my training more seriously since then. I upped my frequency on the big 4 lifts for the last 2 weeks in order to spur more progress. While this worked, I’m now finding myself very fatigued, and I’ve decided that it’s better to just do the program as it was written (crazy, I know).

My numbers are as follows:
    6’3, 215lb BW
    Squat: 300x3x5
    Bench: 185x3x5
    Deadlift: 300x1x5
    Press: 115x3x5

My question is regarding GOMAD. I’ve heard Rip talk about how GOMAD is for skinny, underweight young men. Would I be able to reap the benefits of GOMAD at these numbers? I’m going back to school soon and cramming in 4500 calories a day like I’ve been doing for the past 3 months is going to be harder to do consistently. I’ve been drinking about maybe half a gallon a day, sometimes less.

I don’t have an accurate bodyfat measurement, but I’d say maybe 20-25%. No visible abs, a bit fluffy, but still look a bit noodly in the chest/arms area.

I don't think you'd need whole given you are starting at a weight that isn't far from where we'd like you. Maybe low- or reduced fat would be the better option. Milk provides a ton of carbs and protein for a low cost so you can never go wrong with it if you have high calorie needs. That said why are your squat and deadlift the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I don't think you'd need whole given you are starting at a weight that isn't far from where we'd like you. Maybe low- or reduced fat would be the better option. Milk provides a ton of carbs and protein for a low cost so you can never go wrong with it if you have high calorie needs. That said why are your squat and deadlift the same?
    I’ve been wondering the same. I think it’s a combination of me paying the price of not doing the program correctly and not being able to find a strong starting position for the deadlift as the weight got heavier. As of recently I think I’ve solved both of these problems.

Well at some point the work from the squat will interfere with the deadlift and you'll likely have to spread out the high intensity pulls from the floor to drive progress.