starting strength gym

Thread: NLP - reducing carbs

Default NLP - reducing carbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert.

Male, 41, 265lbs, waist 47”, body fat unknown but guess 30%

I’m about 7 weeks into NLP after a couple of years not training due to injury, gout and birth of my 2nd child.

As per blue book, I’ve been on 3,500 daily kcal and 265g protein.

Had an initial weight drop of 5lbs in the first week, weight stable over the last 6 weeks (actually gained 1lb).

However in the blue book it says fat guys like me should keep around the same weight but see the waist get smaller and pants feel looser, or YNDTP.

This isn’t happening for me and waistline hasn’t reduced in 6 weeks.

Book suggests if this is the case you should reduce carbs, but I don’t know what I should be reducing to, or what level of fat is tolerable to keep overall calories up.

Typically I’ve been trying to keep fat under 100g per day, but with varying degrees of success.

Any suggestions on macro levels I should aim at?

I would try and keep your fat at around 70 g and carbs around 275 g for starters. You don't need 265 g protein either, 220 is sufficient. How tall are you?

I have been a Keto user on and off for a long time, your 5lbs is probably linked to glucose/water depletion essentially your glucose energy store is stored in water in your body and you will lose this first in any type of weight loss diet, in essence, its not really fat loss at that stage as it will return within a few days of normal eating.

Not sure about the exact NLP approach you are following, what have they suggested you intake daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyleeroy View Post
    Hi Robert.

Male, 41, 265lbs, waist 47”, body fat unknown but guess 30%

I’m about 7 weeks into NLP after a couple of years not training due to injury, gout and birth of my 2nd child.

As per blue book, I’ve been on 3,500 daily kcal and 265g protein.

Had an initial weight drop of 5lbs in the first week, weight stable over the last 6 weeks (actually gained 1lb).

However in the blue book it says fat guys like me should keep around the same weight but see the waist get smaller and pants feel looser, or YNDTP.

This isn’t happening for me and waistline hasn’t reduced in 6 weeks.

Book suggests if this is the case you should reduce carbs, but I don’t know what I should be reducing to, or what level of fat is tolerable to keep overall calories up.

Typically I’ve been trying to keep fat under 100g per day, but with varying degrees of success.

Any suggestions on macro levels I should aim at?
    The blue book also says that overweigh trainees shouldn't follow the 1g per pound raccomendation for protein intake. A good rule of thumb is to consume the amount of protein based on the weight you should be when you lose the excess fat aka 200/220g is sufficient, and you are already cutting 200 calories from your daily intake with that.
    Keeping fats lower is a must.

If you follow what Santana said you should see the results described in the book