starting strength gym

Thread: Looking for direction on nutrition based off current overweight / pre-diabetic status

Default Looking for direction on nutrition based off current overweight / pre-diabetic status

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Stats:
    Male / 6'0" / 29 YO / 284 LB

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my questions. I am so sorry that it's a novel. I am having a hard time finding specifically relevant questions on the forum or any kind of content the SS crew has put out to address my exact / current situation.

Question 1: Should I increase caloric intake to gain muscle and further progress on NLP? I know for my height / weight I should be ~4000 calories p/d and I'm currently at ~3500.
    Question 2: Should I further decrease carbs/calories to ward off nearly diagnosed pre-diabetes? (102 fasting blood glucose in June 2022)
    I dislike limiting my strength gains but would do so for a period of time in order to better my "health"... and I have quite the belly. I do not want abs or to be a model. I would like to be 'healthier' than I am now.
    Question 3: Are my weekly planned "cheats" throwing off my progress?
    Question 4: (If yes to Question 2) Should I modify the program or my progress on the program at all to handle period of more rigorous weight loss?

Background/Relevant Info:
    - I did NLP when I was an 18 YO in college and got to 350 Squat / 405 DL / 225 BP / 165 OHP.
    - I made the mistake of stopping due to a medical issue (bone tumor in femur) that has since been completely resolved.
    - I started NLP again in April 2022.
    - I had a yearly physical with blood work in June. My fasting blood glucose levels was 102. 2 out of 8 of my great grandparents had diabetes so slight family history.
    - My doctor 'tasked' me to lost 30 lb by Dec 2022.
    - Since then I have added ~10 sessions of 10-15 minute walks after meals per week in addition to NLP training.
    - I have a 45 hour / week desk job and a 20-30 hour / week 2nd job where I am on my feet doing moderate effort labor.
    - I usually get 6.5-8 hr sleep / day.
    Lifts since starting NLP:
    Squat 135lb - 320lb
    Deadlift 135lb - 375lb
    OHP 75lb - 155lb
    BP 115lb - 220lb
    Row 85lb - 225lb
    Weight and Measurements:
    April 2022 - Aug 2022
    Weight: 289lb - 284lb (got down to as low as 272lb during my initial ~2 month 'diet')
    Chest: 49.5" - 47.5"
    Waist: 51.5" - 48.5"
    Hips: 49.5" - 48"
    Thighs: 49.5" - 48"
    I definitely look more 'muscular' today then I did in April 2022 and all my measurements are down. I know that this whole 'recomp' cannot last forever and I think I need to make a choice on either increasing calories or going back on a diet/caloric deficit.
    Caloric Intake and Diet:
    Basically doing the vertical diet by Stan Efferding.
    ~3000 from early April - July.
    ~3500 from July to present due to being burnt out on 3000 calories per day.
    Macro Targets:
    ~180-220g protein. Only hit 220 if I have a protein shake. ~100g+ fat ~200-250 carbs.
    3500 calorie diet
    Breakfast - 4 egg & 4 egg white, 1/2 tbsp butter, 1 cup rice OR 2/3 cup oats OR 4 oz bread, electrolyte / creatine / BCAA / 1/4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice drink.
    Lunch - 12 OZ 88/12 ground beef, 2 cups rice OR rice cakes OR potatoes, pickled vegetables / peppers / spinach / etc.
    Dinner - 12 OZ 88/12 ground beef, 1 cup rice OR rice cakes OR potatoes, pickled vegetables / peppers / spinach / etc.
    Snack - protein shake, 3 oranges, yogurt / Kefir, milk, rice cakes, etc.
    Occasionally I will swap ground beef for the same weight of salmon / pork / sirloin.
    3000 calorie diet from April - July 2022:
    Same as above minus some of the snacks and minus 1 cup of rice with lunch on non-workout days. I was still having ~3 oranges per day.
    "Cheats" - One pastry and whole milk latte on Saturday/Sunday. Dinner at a restaurant 1-2x / week- still try to go reasonable and only order serving of meat w/ vegetables and carb.
    I am thinking about switching to 16 oz of 92/8 ground beef per meal, ending my cheats, ending my snacks, and getting more food & vegetables in during my meals.
    Goals in order:
    1. ~250 LB bodyweight
    2. 'normal' blood sugar levels
    3. 500 LB squat
    4. 600 LB deadlift
    I recognize that goal #1 does not help progress towards goals #3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by foodmuncher710 View Post

Question 1: Should I increase caloric intake to gain muscle and further progress on NLP? I know for my height / weight I should be ~4000 calories p/d and I'm currently at ~3500.
    No. You should be able to drop some body fat while driving progress given your current weight and strength ratios.

Question 2: Should I further decrease carbs/calories to ward off nearly diagnosed pre-diabetes? (102 fasting blood glucose in June 2022)
    I dislike limiting my strength gains but would do so for a period of time in order to better my "health"... and I have quite the belly. I do not want abs or to be a model. I would like to be 'healthier' than I am now.

Losing weight will probably take care of most of this. In the meantime i'd cut fat, extra sugar, and focus on quality carbs while getting stronger. Quality carbs meaning high fiber for most of your meals, with some concentrated sugar around workouts and by some I mean ~10-15 g for afternoon workouts and maybe 30 for morning.

Question 3: Are my weekly planned "cheats" throwing off my progress?
    100%

Question 4: (If yes to Question 2) Should I modify the program or my progress on the program at all to handle period of more rigorous weight loss?
    If you cannot make progress while losing weight then yes.