starting strength gym

Thread: Does it matter what carbs I eat?

Default Does it matter what carbs I eat?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If I am hitting my protein and fat for the day, the rest of the food is just filler and fuel for my next workouts right? Do carbs do something for recovery that I am not aware of?
    Are there any problems with just fueling your body with whatever carbs you can get ahold of? To give some examples, 1)I usually cook all my protein for the day in one batch and add a carb source on the side, sometimes rice, sometimes potatoes, sometimes ramen noodles, sometime regular noodles. 2) I do not take pre-workout or any supplements, but I will often drink a coke and down a big bag of pickle chips. I justify this with the thought that I'm spiking my blood sugar for the workout and it seems to be working because I haven't stalled yet. I wasn't sure how to form this into one question because I lack any expertise in nutrition but I hope someone can understand what I'm asking.

Robert, if I may impose myself and piggy back the OP's question - there is a popular diet we all know about made popular by Stan Efferding that uses white rice as the main carb source due, I believe, to it's easy digestibility. Knowing little about it, it seems that white rice may not be the best carbohydrate to eat as the main carbohydrate source. I know in the article you mentioned a variety of carb sources so I believe I can guess your answer as to what's best but curious as to your thoughts on Stan's logic in this case. Thanks and sorry for the length.

Some people can't tolerate various sources of fiber well. This varies and you'll have to figure that out for yourself through trial and error. Some of this is confounded by the fact that many people don't eat fruits and vegetables and then have a sudden change in bowel function once they start. That doesn't necessarily mean they are intolerant, just means they aren't used to it yet. Some people never tolerate certain foods well Again highly variable and there is no one-size-fits-all approach.

Thanks Robert. Appreciate your time, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Thanks Robert. Appreciate your time, as always.
    Again it's unlikely that I can add anything about nutrition about and beyond what Robert has said. However, keep in mind that some of these things will also vary with how far along you are in your training, your body composition, and how physically demanding your life is when not under the barbell!

There are only two things that can happen to carbs that you eat. They can be absorbed by your muscles and used to fuel activity or current recovery. Or they can be converted to fatty acids to fuel future recovery. However what happens to the carbs you eat today is not the complete story. There will also be a longer-term effect on insulin production and insulin sensitivity.

There is so much general advice on this forum, that there is little left to add. However, if you have any reason to believe that your nutrition is limiting you, rather than looking for more general advice, it's probably worth getting a nutrition consultation from one of the SSCs who also has a nutrition background so that you can talk about your *specific* situation.

Advanced lifters have very structured lives (or they wouldn't continue to be advanced lifters) and, as a result, can match their food intake to their next 3-4 hours of activity. Most of us ordinary people haven't sorted out all of our practical limitations. I would never down a coke and bag of chips before I lift because, at least twice a month, I would do that and then have my family cause some type of mischief that resulted in having to lift later in the day or possibly miss a session and then I'm loaded down with caffeine and sugar for nothing.

This is why knowing a little about things can be dangerous. Things that are true in one context may not be true in another. Many statements have unstated assumptions that aren't always clear for one who hasn't studied a discipline extensively.

Your options are just to eat according to the blue book and enjoy your progress, pay Robert for a consultation, or go sign up to learn nutrition (I think Precision Nutrition is still the preferred option here). The three are not mutually exclusive.

Speaking of Precision Nutrition, is there a discount code for those of us who attended the SS conference? I have no doubt the course is good but signing up for it is a PITA and the pricing gimmicks are frustrating. And they act like there is "pre-sale" list for a self-paced course. I get emails offering free financing for the course or a discount but when I follow them, there is no option for the discount. I guess the assumption is that most people need the financing. But I'm happy to just pay my money and study the material. I have time right now (I'm posting here) and would gladly pay and start studying.

Given the number of SSCs who go through PN, maybe somebody has a contact who can give me the secret decoder ring where you can just sign up and pay?

Oh and sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

I replaced the normal pasta I use with whole wheat pasta which has tons of fiber. I can normally eat 3 big plates of pasta with meat sauce. With the WW pasta, I can barely get through one plate!. The fiber literally turns my hunger off! Made me think, maybe fiberous carbs (brown rice, beans, WW pasta and bread) are better for cutting when you would want to consume less calories. Also has the increased thermic of food effect. White rice and reg pasta you be eat like a bottomless pit and rack up calories.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post

There are only two things that can happen to carbs that you eat. They can be absorbed by your muscles and used to fuel activity or current recovery. Or they can be converted to fatty acids to fuel future recovery. However what happens to the carbs you eat today is not the complete story. There will also be a longer-term effect on insulin production and insulin sensitivity.
    Much of this has to do with body fat and non-lifting activity as well. As you become an advanced lifter you are performing less total volume on the squat and deadlift due to the absolute intensity lifted and therefore become more sedentary by nature. So if you are just lifting and sitting around all day you will become more insulin resistant if you don't make sure to get off your ass and move. This is why we recommend conditioning for intermediates. Squatting and deadlifting once per week will get you stronger when the intensity is high but the quantity of movement/volume/whatever buzz word you want to use will decrease as a result. Carbs are only as good or bad as the activity they are coupled with.