starting strength gym

Thread: Protein bombs

Default Protein bombs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A lot of people seem to have trouble eating enough protein, and some find protein rather expensive. I'd like to share a few "protein bombs" I make just about every day. They don't taste "great" in the sense I would ask for a refund if they served it in a restaurant, but it's easy way to add up to 100 grams of protein in a snack.

Bomb #1: Best for after workout:
    Mix 30 grams whey powder and 30 grams casein powder in 2-3 cups milk. That's about 80 grams protein, half which will absorb quickly over the next couple hours, half of which will be absorbed over the next several hours. If taken before sleep, I take only casein.

Bomb #2: Sardine can:
    Go to an asian grocery store, you'll find cans of Mackerel and sardines. Sardines for example cost $2-3 a can of 425 grams wet, 15 oz net fish. For example this one can of sardines in tomato paste cost me $2.49 and gives 28 grams of great fat, 16 grams of carbs and 64 grams of protein. I have seen similar cans of Mackerel that had up to 96 grams of protein per can when calculating net weight portions. You can eat them directly from the drained can, or make sandwiches (I use slices of whole wheat bread).

Bomb #3: Eggs and cheese:
    Heat up a pan. Dump in 4 or 8 eggs, and shred a quarter or half a pound of cheese on top. cheddar, mozzarella, whatever you like. 8 large eggs and half a pound of cheese = 100 grams of the best quality protein out there. Eggs are cheap, and cheese can be not that expensive. $10/kg quality mozza exists. You can scramble, you can wait a while and fold, you can prepare these two ingredients in a million ways. With a little salt and pepper, it's a great snack you can cook in 15 minutes, eat it in the same amount of time and then have 100 grams of the very best proteins being diffused into your bloodstream for the next 6-8 hours.

Have any other quick easy cheap recipe? Please share.

Canned tuna with mustard when I'm extremely desperate. Had some Fage Greek yogurt and a couple hard boiled eggs today. Subway salads are another quickie with double meat. Some of this stuff isn't "cheap" but no protein really is. When in doubt nothing is cheaper than milk as most on this website are well aware.

Quote Originally Posted by dyinglight View Post
    A lot of people seem to have trouble eating enough protein, and some find protein rather expensive. I'd like to share a few "protein bombs" I make just about every day. They don't taste "great" in the sense I would ask for a refund if they served it in a restaurant, but it's easy way to add up to 100 grams of protein in a snack.

Bomb #1: Best for after workout:
    Mix 30 grams whey powder and 30 grams casein powder in 2-3 cups milk. That's about 80 grams protein, half which will absorb quickly over the next couple hours, half of which will be absorbed over the next several hours. If taken before sleep, I take only casein.

Bomb #2: Sardine can:
    Go to an asian grocery store, you'll find cans of Mackerel and sardines. Sardines for example cost $2-3 a can of 425 grams wet, 15 oz net fish. For example this one can of sardines in tomato paste cost me $2.49 and gives 28 grams of great fat, 16 grams of carbs and 64 grams of protein. I have seen similar cans of Mackerel that had up to 96 grams of protein per can when calculating net weight portions. You can eat them directly from the drained can, or make sandwiches (I use slices of whole wheat bread).

Bomb #3: Eggs and cheese:
    Heat up a pan. Dump in 4 or 8 eggs, and shred a quarter or half a pound of cheese on top. cheddar, mozzarella, whatever you like. 8 large eggs and half a pound of cheese = 100 grams of the best quality protein out there. Eggs are cheap, and cheese can be not that expensive. $10/kg quality mozza exists. You can scramble, you can wait a while and fold, you can prepare these two ingredients in a million ways. With a little salt and pepper, it's a great snack you can cook in 15 minutes, eat it in the same amount of time and then have 100 grams of the very best proteins being diffused into your bloodstream for the next 6-8 hours.

Have any other quick easy cheap recipe? Please share.
    The problem is that whey protein have too much free amino acids, around the 25% of the total. Therefore, the complete protein is less than you think. Thatīs the reason why I stopped of buying whey bags.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    The problem is that whey protein have too much free amino acids, around the 25% of the total. Therefore, the complete protein is less than you think. Thatīs the reason why I stopped of buying whey bags.
    This is unlikely to make a measurable difference in actual strength and muscle acquisition.