starting strength gym

Thread: Obese Nutrition

Default Obese Nutrition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I am 22, male, 6’2”, and 310lbs.

I have been sedentary my entire life. I have been doing SS exactly as written for a few weeks now. I started around 300lbs and have gained 10lbs and added weight to all my lifts. That said, I have noticed some muscle development so I’m sure my BF% is lowering. I’ve also been taking creatine and I know that that can lead to weight gain.

I am told that it is possible to maintain or even lose weight while doing this program given my current stats. I am shooting for 250g protein, 400g carbs, 100g fat, and 3,500cal on the recommendation of someone else on this forum, who believes my weight gain could be from underestimating my carb/fat intake. What do you think? Should these target numbers allow me to gain strength while dropping body fat, at least for a while?

That's a good starting point. Have you seen your measurements come down? I'd probably go 80 g on the fat and 350 g on the carbohydrates and see what that does. Remember that an obese novice can lose fat and get stronger simultaneously on this program.

Thanks a lot! I will make those my target numbers. My waist size has gone down very slightly but I should have been more diligent about taking exact measurements.

You are welcome. Keep tracking your data and fine tune as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet133 View Post
    I’ve also been taking creatine and I know that that can lead to weight gain.
    Who told you creating causes weight gain? It does cause water retention and if you are not drinking enough water, you will notice more water weight than before. But creatine doesn't have any calories so it doesn't cause weight gain.

Keep up the good work and following Santan's advice. I'm down 25 lbs from where I was when I started lifting. I don't have hard facts on muscle vs fat, but I'm carrying a lot more muscle now, so I lost a lot more than 25lbs of fat.

Keep up the good work and you will get there!