• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    37 yrs old
    5’8”
    210 lbs
    Roughly 30% BF

Starting SS Novice program.

I was originally going to start the program in a slight calorie deficit in hopes of reducing body fat, although now I am unsure.

My current thoughts are 3000 calories per day at the right macro’s.

What are your thoughts? I would like to make steady progression in my training, although with my body fat already at 30+%, I don’t mind keeping it at 30% during my initial training, but I would prefer to not add to it, if that makes sense?

Thank you all,

Training history? You should be able to get stronger without getting fatter on the program provided you are actually a novice and not overeating.

Robert,
    Thank you. I am a novice. I had a personal trainer a year ago. Trained with him for a year, mainly hypertrophy. My starting weight was 238 lbs, when I stopped (1 yr total), I was at 190 lbs, gained muscle, and felt good.

Bought a new home and needed to stop spending the $$$$ on a personal trainer. I need to get back into it and start all over.

My training (seriously) consists of 1 year, a year ago.

How strong are you?

I start SS next week. I am actually putting together all of my equipment this week. Not strong. I have not touched a barbell in a year, and I sit at a desk most days.

When I was training, my trainer was focused on me losing weight, I was eating 1800 cal per day. We pushed weight, but it was all 3x12-15.

The week before I stopped, I maxed 205 x 3 on the bench. Considering what I have been reading, my numbers are very low.

Your bench isn't terrible but you are detrained now and, for all intensive purposes, a novice. Eat enough to facilitate progress on the bar. Per my articles you should get at least 300 g carbohydrates, 200 g protein, and 100 g fat or less to start out. Then scale that depending on how you are progressing. Those are reasonable numbers for a first week and as you get stronger your fat percentage should drop, waistline should drop, and you should look more muscular and less fat. That assumes you are performing all the lifts correctly. Happy to work with you if you hop back into the market for a coach.

Thank you for your willingness to help. You say first week, I take it it would be wise to adjust calories as often as weekly?

You will need adjustments but frequency is not fixed and depends on how you are feeling under the bar and/or what your bodyweight is at week-to-week.

Where / how would be best to contact you regarding couching? I do have a few questions

starting strength coach development program
    Sure. Robert@weightsandplates.com. Happy to help.