starting strength gym

Thread: High fat, low weight?

Default High fat, low weight?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert, it's really cool what you do for people around here. I have a question.

Might my macros be hindering weight gain?

I struggle to eat a caloric surplus due to a general aversion to feeling overfull, perhaps I am a hardgainer, I just came across that term.

To hit my caloric mark I've recently begun consuming up to 12 raw eggs each day in a protein shake. (4 at breakfast, 4 at lunch, 4 at dinner).

The benefit so far has been that I'm regularly achieving a caloric surplus, whereas before the eggs I was far less consistently reaching it.

However, all the eggs (usually blended with whole milk or heavy cream) skew my macros toward fat and away from carbohydrate.

For the past month or so I have been hovering around the same weight, despite the caloric surplus and high fat intake. My lifts (NLP) are all climbing at a good pace.

Are my whacky macros to blame for the weight gain stall? Will all this fat negatively affect my lifts or recovery?

Thanks for reading

Height - 5'1" (it's true)
    Weight - 154
    Age - 38

Current 5 rep working weights:

Bench - 238
    Squat -215 (rehabbing tendonitis)
    Deadlift - 335
    Press - 147

Your weight for height isn't too bad. If you were 5'9" Rip would hunt you down.

So this is why I tend not to focus on calories when advising on diet. If you eat more fat you can get more calories with a smaller volume of food and most of us will take the path of least resistance unless otherwise instructed. Similar concept though, if you find it difficult to eat you'll have to increase your carbs through liquid and milk tends to be the easiest without taking down a bunch of sucrose or high fructose corn syrup. Lactose digests slower but isn't always well tolerated. In terms of solid food, rice and pasta tend to go down easy and rack up the carbs without racking up the fat too much. Potatoes are good too but a little more filling. Still eat them but I would go for more of the rice, cereal, and pasta to drive the number up without getting too full.

Thanks Robert. I will eat more carbohydrates and drink less fat. Also your podcast convinced me to weigh in just once per week (instead of anytime I felt like it).

You are welcome. Glad that helped.

Robert, thanks for your reply.
    I understand that it is better to give preference to cereals and pasta. But most of all I like rice, but a strange thing happens to it - I can't get enough of it. I can eat the whole pot, but I still won't have enough food to feel full, even if I've eaten meat. This feature is not only me, and I can not understand why this happens. Thank you

That's the point. It's a bottomless pit so you can easily accumulate carbs with it. Glad to help.

starting strength coach development program
    The reason white rice is so great for this situation is that it’s extremely easy to digest . Stan efferding uses it in his vertical diet specifically for that reason. If you’re looking for ways to get down more (good) food, definitely check out some of his podcasts or material that he has for free online.