starting strength gym

Thread: Already overweight, currently gaining more weight, what to do

Question Already overweight, currently gaining more weight, what to do

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I'm 27, male, 175cm, and have been training the beginner progression of Starting Strength for seven weeks (the only additional exercise I do is hiking one day a week). Before that, I had been doing calisthenics, kettlebells and similar for four years, but nothing too serious. My current goal is to get as strong as possible. My current numbers:

SQ: 108kg 3x5, feels close to stalling but not stalled yet
    BP: 72.5kg 3x5, good progress
    OHP: 49kg 3x5, slow progress
    DL: 141kg 1x5, good progress

I'm eating 2700kcal on average, about 180g of protein a day. I sleep 8-9 hours a day. I currently weight 82.5kg and my scale says 24.6%BF, it's probably not too precise but sounds about right. I must be in the 24-26%BF range. The thing is, seven weeks ago I weighed 78kg and the scale said 23%BF. In the past I have had problems with disordered eating and I once weighed over 125kg with barely any muscle. I got it down to 73 over the course of five years, and seeing it go back up apparently quite fast when I am already overweight worries me. But 2700kcal doesn't seem *that* much, and I know that if I get into a deficit my numbers will stop going up (right?).

So, my question is, should I keep eating 2700 per day? Should I reduce it when I reach a certain weight? What would my ideal weight be approximately once I go beyond the beginner stage? I'm quite confused and don't know how to approach this.

1) 78 kg is not overweight

2) 2700 calories is correct if you are eating that everyday. If you are eating 2700 on your "good days" and 5000 on weekends then that's not "2700." Important to keep an honest inventory of what you are doing.

3) 125 kg with barely any muscle is unsurprising because you weren't training. Even if you got that big again you'd look different at that size by the sheer nature of training.