starting strength gym

Thread: Returning to NLP as a VERY fluffy individual after a long layoff

Default Returning to NLP as a VERY fluffy individual after a long layoff

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Robert

A bit of back story - found SS a long time ago (around 2013), started as a 27yr old who had previously gone from 294lbs to 196lbs with traditional starvation, cardio and general bullshit with weights. Long story short, ran it as far as it would go and went into intermediate programming (HLM) but stopped in 2018 (like, completely became sedentary) due to life things, turmoil at home, depression etc. Lifts finished at (1RM tested): Squat - 215kg, Deadlift - 250kg, Bench - 130kg, Press - 95kg, Power Snatch - 70kg (although form was probably sketchy at best, self taught). Never ever managed to get the rack position right for power cleans!

So anyway, restarted strength training in February this year and went conservative to get into the groove and working up using NLP, which is going well (currently still in phase 1 but may need to add snatches/cleans in soon as DL 3x is starting to get hard to recover from).

My question is surrounding body comp. After a looooong layoff of doing not much, I am currently very fluffy around the middle (where I seem to hold every last bit of extra padding) and it is something which needs fixing. Current stats are:

Age - 37
    H - 5ft 10"
    W - 223 lbs
    Waist at navel - 41"
    Chest - 45"
    Thigh - 26"
    Upper arm - 14"
    Forearm - 11"

Current working weights (still progressing every session):
    Squat - 152.5kg 5x3
    Deadlift - 177.5kg 5x1
    Bench - 77.5kg 5x3
    Press - 55kg 5x3

Food: Averaging around 3000 (logged in MyFitnessPal) daily with at least 200g protein and an effort to eat more carbs than fat to fill the calorie quota.

Outside of the rack I play cricket in summer (although that's hardly strenuous) and generally try hit 10k steps walking daily (although averaging around 7-8k, can be as high as 16k when at work).

All i'm really asking is, does this look about right for someone returning to NLP who needs to lose some (a lot) of "padding" around the waist?

In the last month and a bit I definitely feel stronger, happier and healthier. Strength training is an awesome form of therapy for depression. I just need some advice on whether, or not, I'm getting the nutrition side of things right as last time I came "up" in weight rather than needing to come down in fat.

Thanks for everything you do here. Been a long time since I last posted anything but I have been reading and trying to implement what I learn here again.

So you are starting from a long period of doing nothing in the weight room or have you been doing some sort of lifting? 3k calories is a good start but given your past level of strength my guess is you will recompose and get that waistline down without needing a big weight loss. How long have you been training now and have you been losing any inches or weight?

Thanks for the reply Robert

Just a quick error correction (if it makes any difference) I should've said I found STRENGTH training (Bigger Leaner Stronger) in 2013. Started "the programme" in late 2015, ran NLP then HLM before stopping late 2018.

In answer to your question, I have done nothing, zilch, in the weight room until Feb this year. I have done a lot of hiking the last year or so and a tiny bit of (gasp) running, but running is awful and boring so gave that silliness up fairly quickly.

I have just completed week 5 of this current NLP yesterday and I have lost 6lbs in that time. I don't have a waist measurement from before the NLP started (I measured for the purposes of this post) but things definitely feel less bloated and the waistband feels less tight than it did already, although still too fluffy for comfort . Deadlifts are getting very taxing 3x weekly so will be adding in power snatches as of next session.

As an aside, I've found it quite difficult to hit 3k calories without taking in quite a bit of fat. It's a lot of food without fat bulking out the calorie content.

Thanks again man

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1985 View Post
    It's a lot of food without fat bulking out the calorie content.

Thanks again man
    That's how it goes. If you are getting quite a bit of fat that means your sources are either fatty meats or fatty carbs. This is the single most difficult aspect of eating to train. There is no room for high fat and the most commonly available foods in modern society are high in fat.