starting strength gym

Thread: Using increasing carbs - something Robert said...I think

Default Using increasing carbs - something Robert said...I think

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Robert, I could be wrong as often happens because my brain is mush and I'm not that bright. I believe you said something in response to a question a while back, something along the lines of, the more carbs you eat the more you will be able to eat. That's not a direct quote, just the gist of the comment if I remember. I think the context was that as you become accustomed to using carbs for fuel and muscle building the more you will be able to consume with a positive result, ie, building muscle and not becoming a giant fat fuck. Obviously more muscle requires more calories but I don't believe that was your point in this case. Does this ring a bell at all and if so, can you elaborate? Thanks and sorry for the vagueness of this question. I wish I could recall exactly what was said.

This is a reference to carbohydrate metabolism. Your body burns of more carbs as you eat them whereas eating more fat leads to more fat storage. Ultimately, you're going to gain body fat if you overeat calories, it's just likely not coming from carbohydrate calories unless you are eating an insane amount of them. From a practical standpoint, most people who overeat calories aren't eating 100% of their calories from carbohydrate and/or eating limited fat calories. It's typically going to be a diet comprised of both high fat and high carb, with most of the fat serving as the substrate for fat storage.

Got it! That makes sense. Thank you and also thank you for somehow being able to decipher my incredibly vague and rambling question!

anytime

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    eating more fat leads to more fat storage... with most of the fat serving as the substrate for fat storage.
    Why is that?

Because it is already in the form that it will be stored in. Your body will always preferentially store triglyceride over other macronutrients for this obvious reason.

How do you explain that several studies claim more weight loss with low carb than low fat diets?

Water weight.

Many people eat less on a very low carbohydrate diet. Appetite goes away. In the past I've gone for weeks under 20 grams of carbohydrate per day, and I had to make myself eat every meal.

starting strength coach development program
    That's pretty standard. Problem is you can't effectively train on that.