starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore Diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    From a practical standpoint, what the OP describes (a bunch of animal proteins and 300-400g of carbs from rice, fruit, honey, and quality dairy) seems like a pretty good diet to train on. In fact it's not all that different from mine, although I'm less picky about where my carbs come from (fruit and grains, mostly). I don't avoid vegetables except the ones that bother my gut, but the fact of the matter is if I'm eating 200g a day of relatively lean protein, I don't have a lot of room for tons of greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Walker View Post
    I'm hoping Robert doesn't mind if I chime in here as I have many years of experience with the carnivore diet, as well as some other loony eating disorders I'm recovering from. I also have Precision Nutrition Level 1 coaching certification, take that as you will.

What Saladino is advocating, as others have pointed out, is no longer really a carnivore diet, but a more or less arbitrary regimen based on Saladino's belief that plants are full of "toxins," and only certain carbs are okay to eat. Nowadays, fruit, honey, and (I guess) rice.

He's not wrong, in a sense. Yes, plants contain natural pesticides (antinutrients) and yes, eaten in large enough quantities certain compounds can potentially be harmful to certain people who are particularly sensitive. A lot of the "evidence" for this is mechanistic, though, and it seems a stretch to look at the current state of health in the civilized world and blame it on spinach and kale. In his book The Carnivore Code, Saladino relates an anecdote of a woman who almost died from drinking like 4 spinach smoothies. She got oxalate poisoning. But, call me crazy, I feel like that doesn't happen a lot.

Saladino's carnivore-ish protocol sounds like a not-bad idea for an elimination diet if someone is suffering from gastrointestinal or perhaps autoimmune issues. As for mental health, I don't know by what mechanism this diet would improve it, unless it's by way of just cutting junk food, copious amounts of refined carbs and white sugar. In which case, you can still eat a lot more stuff than just meat, fruit, honey, and rice.

I recall reading about some interesting preliminary research on nutritional ketosis as a potentially therapeutic intervention for certain mental health disorders (schizophrenia was one), and the internet is rife with n=1 anecdotes. L. Amber O'Hearn is a long-time carnivore who uses the diet to control symptoms of bipolar II. She has done so quite effectively for many years. I don't know if she trains for strength -- I doubt it -- but having the same disorder and having done both years of strict carnivore and only a couple months of strength training, I can tell you that strength training has been markedly more effective for me in a much shorter time. Quite simply I have never experienced fewer mental health symptoms in my adult life than I have in the last 9 weeks of strength training.

However, you can find tons of heart-wrenching testimonials for veganism too. (I was also a raw vegan for the better part of a year in my 20s. I've sampled every eating disorder.)

In my opinion, and based on many years of unfortunate experience, a severely restrictive diet is almost always unnecessary and often harmful. This is getting too long to go into the neuroses you have to adopt in order to eat only like 4 things, but it will mess you up. Or, perhaps more accurately, you have to be messed up to do it. I did experience health benefits from going carnivore back in 2010, but I was severely obese at the time (293 lbs when I started), I did carnivore IN LIEU OF training, and many of the benefits were probably the result of cutting shitty food. Much of the weight loss was the result of my appetite decreasing due to ketosis; eventually my weight plateaued at 220 lbs and did not drop any further no matter how much of a strict carnivore I was. (Like most religious carnivores, I did not "believe" in calories.)

A trainee on the NLP is becoming a more and more efficient user of substrate. For an obese sedentary person who refuses to train, it makes sense to lower insulin signaling with low carb or fasting ketosis. But of course, you shouldn't be obese and sedentary. You should be training. And if you are, your muscles are using glucose. You are insulin sensitive, or getting there, and you don't have to be so damn picky about everything you eat. It's a good idea not to eat garbage, but IMO carnivore scapegoats plants for poor physical and mental health caused by a general poor lifestyle and lack of training. It's great for neurotic people who like being in weird cults, but IMHO, it's simply not necessary for a serious strength trainee.
    Good write up. It seems to me that all of these fad diets use the simplest of tricks - you cut out carbs, so you retain less water, so when you step on a scale you see a drop in body weight pretty fast. As you continue a certain program, you don't eat sweets, so a further drop in body fat follows. It all works until you hit the wall. All this talk about mental health benefits seems to me to be a method of preying on as you say the more or less neurotic customers. I saw your other thread and it is a given that you will see a much greater benefit to your mental health once you squat 245 for reps (three or four months away) and can do five unassisted chin ups (say, six months to a year) than you could ever see from obsessing about food. Not to mention how much a truly max effort deadlift will set you straight.

Pretty soon the carnivore guys will learn that even strict carnivore cultures like the inuit and maasai use herbs and certain bitter plants in their diet and then vegetables will be back on the menu. The cycle always completes itself.

Quote Originally Posted by my_back_hurts View Post
    Pretty soon the carnivore guys will learn that even strict carnivore cultures like the inuit and maasai use herbs and certain bitter plants in their diet and then vegetables will be back on the menu. The cycle always completes itself.
    Richard Nikoley did a lot of very good work on this. The Inuit were not paleo/primal/carnivores. They also weren't fat adapted per se. It wasn't just herbs and bitter plants.

Human' omnivory is no small part of our success. Even "processed junk" is mostly bad not because it *contains* bad things, but because it *lacks* nutrients we need to thrive. A physically normal (read, not sedentary) human is designed to eat pretty much anything and thrive. It's even designed to go without some things...for a little bit. Anything else is the hygiene instinct being screwflied into orthorexic neuroses.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Richard Nikoley did a lot of very good work on this. The Inuit were not paleo/primal/carnivores. They also weren't fat adapted per se. It wasn't just herbs and bitter plants.
    See, there you go. The cycle is completed.

It's just amazing that in 2023 when humans can enjoy the widest variety of food ever in the history of the planet that there so many people pursuing exclusive diets (Carnivore, Vegan, Paleo, Keto). I can understand Keto being used for morbidly obese people as an intervention, but carnivore and vegan? Although anecdotal, I find that people who pursue these extreme diets have usually lost some control over a major aspect of their lives. It's not unlike an entertainer who becomes an anorexic because the only thing that they can control in their lives is what they put into their mouths.
    A couple of examples:
    James Wilks: Lost his career in MMA, then goes down a rabbit hole to get obsessed about veganism.
    Shawn Baker: Lost his medical license, then goes on an extreme diet.

I read somewhere that the cavemen had almost perfect teeth, and this was because they had no processed junk in their diets. Today we eat processed shit all the time and brush our teeth and visit the dentist just to keep the cavities away. So I guess we're not adapted to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankNJ View Post
    It's just amazing that in 2023 when humans can enjoy the widest variety of food ever in the history of the planet that there so many people pursuing exclusive diets (Carnivore, Vegan, Paleo, Keto). I can understand Keto being used for morbidly obese people as an intervention, but carnivore and vegan? Although anecdotal, I find that people who pursue these extreme diets have usually lost some control over a major aspect of their lives. It's not unlike an entertainer who becomes an anorexic because the only thing that they can control in their lives is what they put into their mouths.
    A couple of examples:
    James Wilks: Lost his career in MMA, then goes down a rabbit hole to get obsessed about veganism.
    Shawn Baker: Lost his medical license, then goes on an extreme diet.
    In general, the further you take a human away from his natural diet the more likely he is to fall back into it. Holds true everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    I read somewhere that the cavemen had almost perfect teeth, and this was because they had no processed junk in their diets. Today we eat processed shit all the time and brush our teeth and visit the dentist just to keep the cavities away. So I guess we're not adapted to everything.
    Mass food production has created all sorts of issues. We are hard wired to eat what is convenient and available. The problem with what is convenient and available now versus through most of our time on this planet is that we are getting a bunch of shit we do not need yet we will still grab it if left unchecked. You essentially have to commit to a lifetime of above average awareness of food to navigate it. Now I like that many of the staples (fresh meat, produce etc) are widely available now whereas they were not before. The anti GMO mafia will eat me alive for saying this but I will remind you that most people aren't eating very many fruits and vegetables and the meat that most people eat is the cheapest, most unhealthy shit available. In other words GMO berries and corn fed steak is not the problem at the macro level. Coke, McDonald's Hamburgers, and Cheetos are.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by my_back_hurts View Post
    See, there you go. The cycle is completed.
    Indeed. He was taking about a decade plus ago, when Sisson was big.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast