starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carnivore Diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    The anti GMO mafia will eat me alive for saying this but I will remind you that most people aren't eating very many fruits and vegetables and the meat that most people eat is the cheapest, most unhealthy shit available. In other words GMO berries and corn fed steak is not the problem at the macro level. Coke, McDonald's Hamburgers, and Cheetos are.
    Not trying to start a GMO thread and no disagreement on GMO berries vs Coke, but I think that the more thoughtful criticism of GMOs is not on individual health, but more on the potential global risk in creating vulnerable mono-crops, buts that a different topic.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz83 View Post
    I read somewhere that the cavemen had almost perfect teeth, and this was because they had no processed junk in their diets. Today we eat processed shit all the time and brush our teeth and visit the dentist just to keep the cavities away. So I guess we're not adapted to everything.
    Dental wear patterns start changing around the advent of cereal agriculture. I suppose you could consider literally any cereal grain "processed junk" but that seems like an extreme categorization. This is just because of a massive increase in carbohydrate consumption, which vaguely strained the capacity of humans natural adaptations. But it seems like those humans having the energy to work eight hours a day is worth the trade off of having a toothache every now and then.

And moreover, cavemen did not have perfect teeth: not even close. They had *surprisingly good* teeth, when you consider they did not have modern dental hygiene (and the idea that they had *no* dental hygiene, and allowed the pure holiness of their paleo diet to cleanse the filth from their mouths, is incorrect. They had toothbrushes and toothpicks, pulled teeth, and cleaned cavities). They absolutely had cavities and tooth decay to a greater extent than modern humans with access to good dental hygiene. Most adults in the developed world have a whole set of bonus teeth we have to get surgically removed to replace teeth that we no longer lose to tooth decay. Most people consider losing even a *single* tooth to tooth decay to be a sign of poor dental hygiene

The myth of an enlightened, natural past contrasted with a degenerate, deviant future is a neurotic perception that kicks into overdrive around food: after all, the one thing we are not adapted to eat is poison, and our brain is the number one tool we use to navigate the world. If you are constantly paranoid you might be eating poison, you will probably eat less poison than your reporductive competition

It's no coincidence that most religions have some kind of moral proscriptions about diet: it's the same kind of thought pattern. However, you have the power to be a thinking person. You know what carbohydrates and fats do and how you use them, and what kinds of carbohydrates and fats and in what quantities produce what result. You don't have to designate food haram or halal to know if it's good for you, and don't have to rely on totemic categories like "processed" or "paleo" to tell you if it is.

The vast majority of cave men probably died before 30 years old. They didn't have time to lose all their teeth.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankNJ View Post
    Not trying to start a GMO thread and no disagreement on GMO berries vs Coke, but I think that the more thoughtful criticism of GMOs is not on individual health, but more on the potential global risk in creating vulnerable mono-crops, buts that a different topic.
    I think the problem is that most people getting into these heated debates are using perfection as the comparison situation. There is no such thing. We are always dealing in tradeoffs. GMO free and Pesticide free = famine = more death. Introduce them, we have mass food production and constant availability of otherwise unavailable food. Tradeoff? There most likely is one and I don't need to do a meta analysis to know that. We operate on tradeoffs not in search of nonexistent perfection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123