starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition for the elderly

Default Nutrition for the elderly

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

Two of my current female clients are in their early 70's.

I read your article "Calorie needs for barbell training" in which you state that older adults (>55) may need fewer calories than a younger female (1800-2300)

Obviously hunger can be an issue with an older demographic - but what do you suggest in terms of protein and calorie intake as a rough guideline for this population? Is there such a thing as "anabolic resistance"?

From the Barbell Prescription I gathered that especially older people should "double up" on their protein - which would be conflicting with a reduced appetite.

Thank you.

I agree with the Barbell Prescription's recommendation. Double up the protein and cut the carbs in half. Usually works well. The appetite issue is a real one so liquid calories become helpful there. I don't know if "anabolic resistance" is a thing because i've seen novice men in their 70s build muscle just fine. However, older adults do have less HCL in their stomach and therefore do not extract protein as efficiently as a younger adult, which is one reason for the higher needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I agree with the Barbell Prescription's recommendation. Double up the protein and cut the carbs in half. Usually works well. The appetite issue is a real one so liquid calories become helpful there. I don't know if "anabolic resistance" is a thing because i've seen novice men in their 70s build muscle just fine. However, older adults do have less HCL in their stomach and therefore do not extract protein as efficiently as a younger adult, which is one reason for the higher needs.
    Thanks Robert. Very helpful.