starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition advice/questions

Default Nutrition advice/questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok so I'm a bigger guy I'm 38 about 6'2 and 310ish pounds, just looking to see if my figuring is right, on a daily basis I try to eat btw 3000-3500 calories a day which if the information ive found online is accurate should put me 1000-1500 calories below whats considered maintenance intake, I also try to intake approx 1g of protien to lb of bw. I usually get 6-8hrs of sleep, so far ive felt like I recover alright, I do get the occasional lingering soreness but I feel thats just natural given the nature of strength training.
    My numbers on the program arent anything to write home about but as of today they are:
    Squat 200x5x3, deadlift 290x5x1, bench 145x5x3 (will be 155 on friday hopefully), and press 105x5x3 (just missed 110 today so thats what ive actually completed 5x3)
    Now I consciously put myself into a caloric deficit because I'd like to lose a few pounds, ive noticed my body is recomping since my pants have been getting a little looser in the waist and snugger in the thighs, and my shirts have gotten a little bit tighter accross my shoulders and arms. I'm just looking for guidence to whether a) what I'm doing is alright, but... or b) I'm a complete dummy and should be doing... Or something in the middle...
    I do really enjoy this program and want to take it as far as I can but want to check every now and again with the coaches on here to see if I'm doing things right or not...

Sounds like the program is working as intended. The guy who has weight to lose should see recomposition for a while, with weight loss to along with it. As you advance and become an intermediate this is no longer possible. How are you distributing those calories? They sound right for your size, glad you didn't do the typical "I think I need 1200 calories" thing that many big guys tend to do. You are doing it right calorically, let's just get eyes on the macros.

Yeah to be honest I have tried the whole sub 2kcal a day in the past and know it doesnt work, you just feel tired and sluggish all the time. Also im not very versed on nutrition verbiage so im unsure of what you meant by macros, and what info are you looking for when you asked how I'm distributing the calories? If just what i eat, when I changed my eating habbits a couple months ago I cut out completely things like soda, candy, cookies, cakes etc.,
    A typical breakfast for me is just 2 eggs with some cheese, 2 slices of whole wheat (only kind of bread I eat) toast with butter, and 3-4 slices of thick bacon
    My goto after the gym is a protien shake, and tuna melt (actually calculated the cal and pro for this combo and it works out to 100g/1000cal)
    Most dinners are chicken breast with green beans and either a pasta or bread sometimes a salad as well.
    I shoot for 2-3 meals a day and usually have have the bulk of my calories and such with dinner so say 1500-2500, and I try to drink around a gal of water throughout the day sometimes more or less based on whats going on during the day.
    Again I'm not sure if this is what you were asking for or not, also I do take a multivitamin so I get the various minerals etc. I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track so far with my diet

Macros = macronutrients = carbs/fat/protein/alcohol. Do you have any numbers for those?