starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waking up at 3am

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Vitamin B complex supplements do it to me. It's like some sitting next to me while I'm sleeping and giving me a hard shove every 30 minutes.

Alcohol before bed?

Quote Originally Posted by HailMary View Post
    Alcohol before bed?
    Alcohol is a mixed bag in practice. The literature suggests that it will disrupt sleep and I have experienced decent sleep (above average) with a small amount (~0.5 oz or so). Purely anecdotal and not an official recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Alcohol is a mixed bag in practice. The literature suggests that it will disrupt sleep and I have experienced decent sleep (above average) with a small amount (~0.5 oz or so). Purely anecdotal and not an official recommendation.
    It disrupts my sleep. I wasn’t clear. I was wondering if alcohol was a factor in the OP’s night waking.

Do you feel tired the rest of the day when you wake up that early?

How far north do you live? Is the problem worse in the winter? Does it get better as the days lengthen? Some people's sleep is very sensitive to day length, hence the recommendation on screen time. If you're lifting in a brightly lit gym in late afternoon when it's dark outside your body might be getting confused.

Alcohol causes you to fall asleep quickly but it disrupts deep and REM sleep. People with sleep disorders shouldn't drink it in the evening.

Early awakening can also be caused by depression, and/or anxiety related to life events (upcoming job review, big exams, wedding, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by HailMary View Post
    It disrupts my sleep. I wasn’t clear. I was wondering if alcohol was a factor in the OP’s night waking.
    Could be.

To rule out low-hanging fruit I would cut out the caffeine completely for a week and see how you get along.
    One cup of coffee can keep you awake/alert for up to 12 hours, just type 'how long will coffee keep me awake' in a google search for references.

Another thing is to make sure you are absorbing enough natural sunlight during the day, which will maximize your own melatonin production during the day.
    Stress has the opposite effect, by the way, so high stress is extremely counterproductive to your ability to sleep.
    Some people like to listen to 'guided meditation' while falling asleep which supposedly keep your mind from racing and thinking about things that stress you - there are thousands of these podcasts to choose from on Google if you want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo M View Post
    Do you feel tired the rest of the day when you wake up that early?

How far north do you live? Is the problem worse in the winter? Does it get better as the days lengthen? Some people's sleep is very sensitive to day length, hence the recommendation on screen time. If you're lifting in a brightly lit gym in late afternoon when it's dark outside your body might be getting confused.

Alcohol causes you to fall asleep quickly but it disrupts deep and REM sleep. People with sleep disorders shouldn't drink it in the evening.

Early awakening can also be caused by depression, and/or anxiety related to life events (upcoming job review, big exams, wedding, etc.)
    I live in Austria, have seen no connection to the seasons so far.

I almost never drink.

Also no big life stress going on and like I said, same thing happened last year.

The only remedy so far is to stop lifting and that normalizes my sleep in 3-7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I have heard that some people are wired if they lift in the evening. Residual adrenaline is the likely cause of this. How close to bed time? It varies. Try training in the am just once and see how, if at all, that impacts your sleep. You may also want to play around with removing one supplement at a time and see if something is going on there.
    So I skipped workouts for one week, my sleep normalized, slept through 4 nights in a row. Then trained at 10am yesterday, took no supplements and still woke up at 4am tonight.

starting strength coach development program
    You may need to train first thing in the morning or start doing a cool down to help reduce that adrenaline.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast