starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Gains - Intermediate

Default Strength Gains - Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Afternoon Team,
    I've been lifting for approx 5 years now, best comp lifts (150kg squat, 108.5kg BP, 210kg DL), I'm 6.1, weighing in at 90kg. For the past 1-2 years my progress has remained relatively muted on the squat and DL since cutting down from 98kg. I was advised by a nutrition expert most of the strength gains come at maintenance calories as I used to bulk up majority of the year and cut at the end when too fluffy. I'm at the point now where I want to push these numbers in the right direction on a consistent block to block basis. Questions:
    1) Getting stronger over the long term (i.e. increasing weight on the bar) requires eating at surplus therefore pushing up the bodyweight, is strength gains at maintenance cals flawed here?
    2) When should one start to cut some bodyfat - 25% body fat?
    3) Aim for weight gain of 100-200g per week to prevent more fat than muscle gain?

I'm big fan of Mark Rippetoe, if you can add from your experience here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Team

Maintenance is bullshit. Nobody eats at a perfect maintenance day after day. If you aren't in a deficit you are likely in a surplus of some sort. Before we discuss % bodyfat, tell me about your lifts.

Thanks Rob, appreciate the straight up response, of course - I mean I keep my weight around 90 kg playing with the macros each week to maintain the weight, fluctuates from 90.5-92kg. Sure, SQ 130x5, DL 167.5x5, BP 97.5x5. SQ & DL have been relatively muted over the past year, BP has moved up but starting to plateau now.

At those numbers, I'd guess that you need to gain more bodyweight to get past the plateau on the squat and deadlift. 100 kg is a better bodyweight for a guy your height and your numbers are no longer light so I can't imagine you'd get too fat pushing up. Get your squat up to 200 kg and deadlift to 230 kg and then see if you can cut some bodyfat.

Thanks Rob, I'll start getting the bodyweight up, aiming for 100-200g per week, macro split for bodyweight pounds - protein 1x, fat 0.5x, remainder carbs, agree?
    From your experience if the goal is strength and pushing up the numbers on the bar will there always be a calorie surplus that's required (therefore this magical gains at maintenance cals is BS)? At what time does it flip over from gaining weight and increasing strength to cutting some weight to get to a healthier body fat %/waist circumference?
    Appreciate your time Rob, this has been very helpful & insightful, if you have any recommended books on this topic would be great

starting strength coach development program
    You need to prioritize carbs and protein and let the fat fall where it falls. I would say 2-2.5 g per lb on carbs. Eventually you won't keep gaining weight once you hit that sweet spot. Maintenance is bullshit but you'll make progress at various body weights over time.