starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about meal timing...

Default question about meal timing...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been a carnivore for the last 4 years to help mitigate some auto immune health problems. I know this is not optimum for muscle building but I'm playing the cards I was dealt. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking and I like stuffing my face so I generally eat one meal a day (dinner) that is usually 2 pounds of steak or ground beef and 8 eggs cooking in butter. Besides this I generally drink black coffee and water. At least I know I hitting my protein requirements

My question is would there be any benefit to eating multiple meals a day or trying to time meals around working out? (48 years old, 6'2" tall and 210 lb).

Yes. They have been discussed at length on this board. Have you read any of it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Yes. They have been discussed at length on this board. Have you read any of it yet?
    I've read through a bunch of the related threads. It seems like consensus is that eating 3-5 times a day spaced out is ideal. My concern with being a carnivore is that the only way to get a strong insulin response is to eat a large quantity of protein in one sitting and this is important for muscle protein synthesis. I'm still not sure if spacing out my protein intake would end up being detrimental do to a weaker insulin response.

You are limiting muscle protein synthesis by doing carnivore to begin with. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here on the training side.

My goals are to get bigger and stronger. I know carnivore is not ideal, I'm trying to make the best of it as going off of carnivore would set me back health wise. I can eat 3500-4000 calories in one sitting or I can spread it out over the course of a day. Maybe this doesn't make enough of a difference to concern myself? I'm adding weight every session and haven't seen a decline in bar speed yet so without a strong opinion one way or the other, I'll just keep at it until something stalls.

Stop doing carnivore. Problem solved. The idea that you get a stronger insulin response from protein versus carbohydrate doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Alternatively you can try to out-program a shitty, and frankly stupid, diet and see where that takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by AutodidacDad View Post
    My goals are to get bigger and stronger. I know carnivore is not ideal, I'm trying to make the best of it as going off of carnivore would set me back health wise. I can eat 3500-4000 calories in one sitting or I can spread it out over the course of a day. Maybe this doesn't make enough of a difference to concern myself? I'm adding weight every session and haven't seen a decline in bar speed yet so without a strong opinion one way or the other, I'll just keep at it until something stalls.
    If you want to stay with carnivore you should look at the strength co YouTube. Ssc grant did a little over a month on the diet and gave his thoughts. I can sympathize with you on having to do such a drastic diet for health reasons, but damn do I get weak when I cut out carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    If you want to stay with carnivore you should look at the strength co YouTube. Ssc grant did a little over a month on the diet and gave his thoughts. I can sympathize with you on having to do such a drastic diet for health reasons, but damn do I get weak when I cut out carbs.
    You simply cannot train on the shit. People don't get it. In theory, you can convert amino acids into glucose albeit inefficiently. In practice, that doesn't seem to matter because:

A) People will not consistently eat 400-600 grams of protein.
    B) It doesn't seem to work the way the biochemistry books tell us in practice. In all fairness to the biochemistry books they don't claim that the conversion will be efficient enough to train at high intensities. They just tell us it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I have ulcerative colitis so my options are don't eat carbs and be able to work out or eat carbs and have diarrhea with blood while trying to workout. I've been a carnivore long enough that I feel relatively well adapted. I'm not close to my maxes yet doing a BLP so I'll just see where I can get. I anecdotally see carnivores that appear to be reasonably strong (Sean Baker comes to mind).

starting strength coach development program
    Won't high intensity training help with some of the issues of auto immune conditions anyway? Then OP can just add some carbs in slowly and keep increasing them if not having any problems.

I suppose naming the auto immune health condition specifically would get a more targeted response?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast