starting strength gym

Thread: Maintaining Weight after Weight Gain Phase

Default Maintaining Weight after Weight Gain Phase

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Rip,

This question might be suited for the "Nutrition" section of the forum but since I wanted to ask you, I opted to post here. If I made a mistake and this needs to be moved/posted there then please let me know.

My question is in reference to your comment on your Radio Show where you had a Q&A with a caller ( which I assume is a kid) named Jake. He claimed he was eating 5k calories a day and not gaining any weight and his Deadlift was not improving ( I hope this jogs your memory), as I forget the episode number.

After you and your team corrected him and set him on a better path on correcting this (which was eating more), you made a side comment stating this process (gaining weight) is just a phase, and once Jake or anyone for that matter gets to an ideal weight then they should maintain or pause on the "Bulk" process.

This leads me to my question. Once that phase is complete what in your opinion what would be an ideal daily calorie intake in which one should consume to maintain that weight?

For example I'm 6'2 202lbs and I would like to get to 210 or 215. From there I would like to maintain that for awhile while I get stronger at that weight class before either going up or continuing to maintain. Right now I'm eating 3800-4,000k a day, everyday, and I'm gaining about 1 pound a week give or take, so far its working. Once I get to `215` do you recommend going down to 3500 a day? Less?

As you and many others within your program have stated there is a lot of information out there, some good, some not. I done my own personal research but one source says one thing, and another source states another method etc.

Respectfully and Thank You,
    Daniel

Without having followed your individual situation I would recommend not eating any less than 4000 calories and plan to get to at least 240 lb. You are 6'2" you need to offset the long limbs with more bodyweight even moreso than a shorter guy. Keep in mind guys that are 5'8"-5'10" are weighing 210-215 while running this.

Thank you for the insight!

I will follow the 4000 calorie plan and report back in a few months on progress. So far, the additional 1 pound of BW a week is working and all my lifts are improving.

Respectfully,
    Daniel

You should do just fine. It will eventually need to be 5000. Tall fuckers are metabolically expensive.

An extra 1,000 calories more a day could be managed after I adjust to 4,000. I'm always trying to find more excuses to eat a quality medium rare steak with potatoes.

There you go.

I will add after listening to the Podcast, that I will begin TRT soon ( just got blood work back). I was shocked to find that I'm at 343. I didn't know I was that low ( My understanding is that 300 is the standard medical base line).

Being 40, I was hoping it would be a bit higher ( I assumed that TRT was for the 45 years of age Male and older). Now, I will admit I did the test around 2pm and trained pretty heavy that morning ( Squat, Press, Deadlift) so I'm not sure if that is what caused such a low number for me? Regardless, my TRT doctor wants to get me up to the 800-1000 range asap.

I'm hoping with the 4k calories and now TRT I will see a more impactful result in all aspects of my life not just in the gym. Recovery has been shit lately. I have been so damn sleepy all the time. My routine and daily diet is the following.

Keep in mind I'm a Police Recruit ( so I still need to be able to pass certain bench marks i.e. running and maintaining a high level of cardiovascular strength so I do swim and run through out the week with added Push Ups, Pull Ups, Sit-ups as those movements are tested regularly through out the Academy).

Training Routine:
    * 4:30 am is my gym start time during the work week, as I like to get it in before the day starts. I feel I loose motivation as the day continues if not, and this also allows me time to get ready for work which is arrival time of 8am. On days off its usually 6-7am when I train*

Monday
    Run 3 Miles
    Swim 800m

Tuesday
    Run 3 Miles
    Push Ups: 3x20
    Flutter Kicks: 3x20
    Pull Ups: 3xFailure

Wednesday
    Starting Strength Program A

Thursday
    Rest Day

Friday
    Starting Strength Program B
    Swim 800m

Saturday
    Run 6 Miles
    Push Ups: 1x Failure
    Sit-ups: 1x Failure
    Pull Ups: 1x Failure

Sunday
    Starting Strength Program A
    Swim 800m

Daily Caloric Intake
    *This is tracked pretty well via Fitness Pal there is 1 or 2 dinners a week, where I will go out with the lady to eat. This typically is Pizza, or Burgers, etc. which usually means I will also have a couple of Whiskey & Cokes (Coke Zero) added to the meal*

Breakfast
    1,080 Calories/133g Protein/ 81 Grams of Carbs/ 72 grams of Fat
    3 Slices of Toast
    3 Cups of Egg Whites Scrambled
    3 slices of Cheese to add to Eggs.
    1 Protein Shake (Muscle Milk)

Pre Lunch Snack:190 Calories/22 Carbs/7 g Fat/ 21g Protein
    Protein Bar (Quest)

Lunch: Chipotle 1,425 Calories/99 Grams of Protein/ 185 Carbs/38g Fat
    Chicken Burrito with Rice/Chicken/Salsa/Pico/Cheese/Lettuce
    Chicken Bowl (same ingredients)

Pre Dinner Snack: 190 Calories/22 Carbs/7 g Fat/ 21g Protein
    Protein Bar (Quest)

Dinner: 1000 Calories/141g of Protein/ 57 Carbs/ 23g of fat
    Top Sirloin 8-12oz (pending on how hungry I am)
    Roasted Potatoes
    Roasted Broccoli

Bed Time Snack 170 Calories/ 32g Protein/ 9g carb/ 2g fat
    Protein Shake ( Muscle Milk)

Total 4,000+ calories/ 407g Protein/ 391 Carbs/ 92 g of Fat

* This is not 100% but damn close as there is oil used to cook eggs and steak etc which is not accounted for *

Any advice on where I should add, change, modify etc? Please remember, I still need to be able to pass the PT Test with the Academy so I' don't want to alter to much if any of my running. After the Academy, I'm open to ideas with that area of training.

My current numbers
    40 years of age
    6'2
    206 pounds ( I gained about 4-5 pounds since I first posted, as I started to eat more and follow the SS Novice Program)

*The below numbers are low, as I just started the SS Program 3-4 weeks ago, so I'm embarrassed to post them, keep in mind I been mainly a endurance athlete most my life*

Bench Working Set: 160
    Squat: Working Set 195
    Deadlift Working Set 230
    Press Working Set 105

Respectfully and Thank You,
    Daniel

starting strength coach development program
    Shorten your question.