starting strength gym

Thread: When is it time to cut?

Default When is it time to cut?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey! I’m new to the program and forum, and had a question about when it’s appropriate to start a cut.

I’m currently eating at a caloric surplus of about 1000 calories a day, and have been growing and getting stronger consistently. I’m not in any rush to start losing weight as I am still relatively weak, and was thinking I might cut down when I estimate my body fat percentage to be around 20% or so.

For context, I’m male, 26 years old, 6’5, and 260lbs. Body fat according to the Navy Method is around 13%, though by visual comparison to body fat charts I’d say I’m closer to about 17%.

Thoughts?

I don't think you should lose weight ever. You are at a good height and weight, if anything you may want to gain it as you get stronger. How much are you lifting on each lift right now?

Oh right on hahaha. Sounds good to me!

Current lifts:
    Squat: 335x5x3
    Press: 175x5x3
    Bench: 265x5x3

Deadlift is an unknown at the moment. I have a long torso and short legs, and coupled with very tight hamstrings I can’t get into the correct bottom position. Currently using weighted RDLs to improve mobility and have been seeing great progress with that. Should be deadlifting by next Monday. That being said, I have pulled 395x5 with bad form in the past.

Monday marks week four of the LP. All of my lifts are still progressing in 5lb increments, including the press. Programming is as it is in the blue book, with the exception of deadlifts (for the moment).

YNDTP. Get a coach and fix your deadlift.

Will do!

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome. A big deadlift is the rule not the exception.