starting strength gym

Thread: Overdid it and hurt hip , back to squatting

Default Overdid it and hurt hip , back to squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, I had been doing SS for 8 months straight and then i couldnt reach parallel without a stabbing pain in my hip, im sure because I didn't rest enough so it couldn't heal.

I've took two weeks off altogether and feeling much fresher, should I go back to doing light squats and add a bit each week? Or do other exercises? I've had problems with my hip for a while as one leg is slightly longer (couple physios have told me, I think because of muscle imbalances around the hip) so I'm concerned the pain will come back after a while.

I;ve been doing some hip strengthing exercises my physio gave me for my weaker hip, the clam and where I lie on my front and lift my leg up.

Should I try to squat?
    Last edited by hicontrast; 11-26-2013 at 01:29 PM.

'Sharp stabbing' should be taken as a warning. Can you squat at -10% without a stabbing pain? Do you reach a weight during your warmup where you feel your hip becoming aggravated without pain? I'd start at -10% or where i'm pain free and build up from there. Get the hip looked at by a chiro, a couple adjustments or more stretching could set you right.

I did get the pain with no weight at all, but after resting for 2 weeks I can squat with no weight without pain.

I would work up to within 10% of where you were before and see if there is pain. Jumping right back in thinking you're 100% might be a little rushed, take a deload and work back up. If you still have pain, figure out if it's form or you.