starting strength gym

Thread: Starr rehab protocol for old injury?

Default Starr rehab protocol for old injury?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've had chronic back pain for a few years. Doctors don't know exactly what the cause is but say my erectors are in constant spasm. Physical therapy didn't work. Experience says being stronger makes me less likely to tweak my back. Started SSLP a few months ago. Current numbers are
    Squat 230 for 3x5
    Deadlift 285 for 1x5
    Bench 170 for 3x5
    OHP 105 for 3x5

Weights are going up easily still. My question is should I continue with strength gains on LP or try the Starr rehab protocol? Has anyone here used the protocol for older injuries? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepackwillie View Post
    Has anyone here used the protocol for older injuries? Thanks in advance.
    I don't think it applies. The protocol is for injuries to muscle belly tissue, and it rationale is to flood the damaged tissue with lots of blood, which speeds up the recovery, and during full ROM movements, which prevents the formation of too-short scars that will hinder muscle functioning once returning to training.

There's no new scar tissue to form in an old, settled injury, so I don't think the method will help. Also, the sort of pain you describe might not be due to a lesion in muscle-belly tissue at all.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Thanks. I guess I was wondering because I seem to remember an account where Bill Starr used it on a back injury that had been nagging him for months and that he knew was a herniated disc. I can see how it would be used for new muscle tears, but how it helped a herniated disc is something I didnt understand.

Is your back feeling better as you are adding weight to the bar? If so, I would recommend continuing to add weight to the bar.

I had an inflamed disc for months and SSLP killed it right off. Squat and pull, get your back strong, and it may help with some indirect pains caused by the disc (muscle atrophy, compensating for other muscles, and other similar mechanisms).

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Is your back feeling better as you are adding weight to the bar? If so, I would recommend continuing to add weight to the bar.
    I have noticed that getting stronger has the effect of lowering the pain to a dull roar. That and my CNS seems to be trained to brace more. That said, I did tweak something in my left erector yesterday on my last squat warm up set. The main sets went up with no problems. I just braced myself and didn't feel any pinching like on the warm up. I'll see how it feels the next few days. I may have to start wearing my belt on the last warm up set now.

What's your age, weight, previous experience with lifting? Lifestyle?

If you're just getting started it might pay to start slow especially if you're older.

Quote Originally Posted by FacePalm View Post
    What's your age, weight, previous experience with lifting? Lifestyle?

If you're just getting started it might pay to start slow especially if you're older.
    5'9" 185 lbs 36 years old. Lifted body building style in college, 8-12 rep range. Then quit until about 4 years ago. Got back in the gym with bodybuilding style workouts. I plateaued, the switched to a 5x5 routine. Injured my back at work. Was rehabbing that injury and got rear ended by a car. Rehabbed some more and now I'm back training 3x5 SSLP.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you using a belt? It may be a good idea to use one for every set, including warmups. This is generally recommended if you are prone to back tweaks. Or at least while your back is recovering.