starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea multiple times per day. Could that cause malabsorption of calories?

Default Diarrhea multiple times per day. Could that cause malabsorption of calories?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been having stomach issues for many years now and I've noticed my lifts have plateaued very quickly. I know it could be a factor of just not eating enough but do you know of any cases where constant diarrhea can cause your body not to absorb all the calories from the food you eat? Could fixing my stomach issues help my lifting significantly?

Depends what kind of diarrhea you're having and what it's from, but yes dehydration and malabsorption are two big risks to having this consistently. I assume you're seeing a doctor, yes?

Also, your lifts plateauing may be secondary to lack of weight gain, which may be due to this issue..

Yeah I've started seeing a gastroenterologist recently. It just takes a while to get an appointment with Canada's healthcare system :/

As a temporary measure, do you think Immodium could help me gain weight since it slows digestion and therefore, gives my small intestine more time to absorb nutrients? Then again, I guess it depends on if my intestinal lining isn't already damaged from something else eh?

I don't think I'd recommend using loperamide off the cuff, rather I'd try and see if there's a dietary cause of your symptoms, e.g. gluten, rye, barley, wheat, etc. and use calorie dense foods to try and keep weight on. It's hard to gain weight in this situation.

Doesn't loperamide have very little long term side effects? Then again, it is best to find out the underlying cause. It's just so hard to figure out what foods cause the symptoms when eating and shitting doesn't happen in well timed intervals you know?

OP, I had that when I decided to start drinking milk seriously. It... did not go well. Also, it took me quite a while to figure out it was the milk. When I stopped drinking the milk, the diarrhea was also gone.
    Have you changed your eating habits recently? This might be worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    OP, I had that when I decided to start drinking milk seriously. It... did not go well. Also, it took me quite a while to figure out it was the milk. When I stopped drinking the milk, the diarrhea was also gone.
    Have you changed your eating habits recently? This might be worth checking.
    I started bulking and doing SS in Dec and I was drinking lots of milk and making highly caloric shakes which did not go very well (although I did put on weight). I stopped the milk and I'm still having issues sometimes. I am still trying to narrow down certain problem foods.

My mother (who has issues with milk and eggs) also had issues with some whey isolates.

With some brands there were tub to tub issues.

I can get you the brand she has settled on if you are interested, but the whey can also be a cause of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    My mother (who has issues with milk and eggs) also had issues with some whey isolates.

I can get you the brand she has settled on if you are interested, but the whey can also be a cause of issues.
    She has a milk protein allergy or lactose allergy or ever been formally diagnosed?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post

I have no food allergies or sensitivities I know of, nor am I lactose intolerant. But one particular 5lb tub of unflavored NOW whey isolate made my heart race for a couple hours each time I dosed myself with it. I.e. 80bpm instead of 60, even when lying down.

Switched brands on my next tub just to be safe, no recurrence. I wonder if that batch was contaminated with something they normally put into one of the stimulant pre-workout mixes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast