starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan!

After listening to your podcast with Matt Reynolds about the Leucine content in Whey protein I went and checked mine. Turns out the company didn't put any in the whey as they sell BCAAs separately. Their BCAAs have the ratio you mentioned in the podcast but only have 2.5g Leucine per scoop...

Would you recommend changing brands or just searching for a another BCAA to mix with the Whey? The Whey itself isn't bad, the taste is ok and it has 23g of protein per scoop which is pretty good as per my research...

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vino View Post
    Hey Jordan!

After listening to your podcast with Matt Reynolds about the Leucine content in Whey protein I went and checked mine. Turns out the company didn't put any in the whey as they sell BCAAs separately. Their BCAAs have the ratio you mentioned in the podcast but only have 2.5g Leucine per scoop...

Would you recommend changing brands or just searching for a another BCAA to mix with the Whey? The Whey itself isn't bad, the taste is ok and it has 23g of protein per scoop which is pretty good as per my research...

Thanks in advance!
    Yea most companies don't add whey because they expect you to take 2 scoops at a time. If you're doing that, you won't need to add any leucine. On the other hand, if you're not terribly young or have tons of testosterone flowing through you, you might add 500mg leucine to each scoop (or just take 2 scoops whey).

Do you mean they don't add Leucine to Whey and that taking two scoops is going to do the same thing as buying and taking BCAAs separately? I usually take only one scoop of whey but might drink multiple shake per day...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vino View Post
    Do you mean they don't add Leucine to Whey and that taking two scoops is going to do the same thing as buying and taking BCAAs separately? I usually take only one scoop of whey but might drink multiple shake per day...
    I mean whey already has a significant dose of leucine and typically no, companies don't add extra BCAAs. Taking 2 scoops of whey provides a ton of BCAAs, so to answer your question "kinda".

Thanks Jordan!

In that podcast, you talk about how a dose of quality protein containing more than 3g leucine is not triggering more muscle protein synthesis (MPS) than the minimum dose of 3g leucine (and accompanying isoleucine/valine), right?

I know protein in excess of that is not "wasted" in that we digest and uses it for other processes and as energy substrate. But from the standpoint of hitting my calories, enjoying my food, and having to purchase whey, is there any reason besides satiety to have 2 scoops as part of a meal?

At 215lb, moderately lean and strong, I eat 4 meals/day plus BCAA's after training and once or twice between meals. To get ~215g protein/day, I need 50g/meal, and I get most of my protein from whey. Am I "wasting" my 100% whey concentrate (as in it does not provide pleasure, it costs money, and does not contribute to extra MPS) if I'm eating it beyond providing 3g leucine/meal?

Could I just get 20g protein/meal (coming from a scoop of GainzZz Rx not including trace proteins), make up the calories with extra delicious carbs and end up at the same point with regards to MPS and body composition?

tl/dr; eat less total protein/day if it's all coming from a quality whey and get the same results re: gainz

Quote Originally Posted by broseph View Post
    In that podcast, you talk about how a dose of quality protein containing more than 3g leucine is not triggering more muscle protein synthesis (MPS) than the minimum dose of 3g leucine (and accompanying isoleucine/valine), right?

I know protein in excess of that is not "wasted" in that we digest and uses it for other processes and as energy substrate. But from the standpoint of hitting my calories, enjoying my food, and having to purchase whey, is there any reason besides satiety to have 2 scoops as part of a meal?
    Well, we can consider the general thermogenesis of protein as a macronutrient compared to carbohydrates or fat and, additionally, the difference in energy production efficiency when increasing carbs and fats and lowering protein. This is a pretty small effect if total cals, fiber, and leucine content is kept constant.

At 215lb, moderately lean and strong, I eat 4 meals/day plus BCAA's after training and once or twice between meals. To get ~215g protein/day, I need 50g/meal, and I get most of my protein from whey. Am I "wasting" my 100% whey concentrate (as in it does not provide pleasure, it costs money, and does not contribute to extra MPS) if I'm eating it beyond providing 3g leucine/meal?
    You probably get 30g protein per meal from animal source with all other protein coming from trace sources, so does the extra 40-60g per day (from animal sources) make a difference to you? Unlikely.

Could I just get 20g protein/meal (coming from a scoop of GainzZz Rx not including trace proteins), make up the calories with extra delicious carbs and end up at the same point with regards to MPS and body composition?
    Say you did this. Well, you'd still be getting ~20g or so of trace proteins per meal (maybe more, maybe less) and so you'd still end up at 160-180g of protein per day, which isn't that much different than 215g per day and I'd think this is even in a "best case protein scenario" where you're only doing whey.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 08-11-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Default What to do?

Jordan can you clarify what you mean by "trace protein" for us less educated folks?

I'm thinking you're talking about protein from sources not containing all the essential amino acids. For example pasta is primarily a carb source but also has maybe 5g or protein as well. Is this right?
    Last edited by ccmi; 08-13-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Say you did this. Well, you'd still be getting ~20g or so of trace proteins per meal (maybe more, maybe less) and so you'd still end up at 160-180g of protein per day, which isn't that much different than 215g per day and I'd think this is even in a "best case protein scenario" where you're only doing whey.
    That all makes sense, thanks for replying.

I don't find lean meat to be very palatable, so I use whey as my protein source for 3/4 of my daily meals. I save up a good portion of my fat macros and have a delicious meaty dinner every night.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That all makes sense, thanks for replying.

I don't find lean meat to be very palatable, so I use whey as my protein source for 3/4 of my daily meals. I save up a good portion of my fat macros and have a delicious meaty dinner every night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast