starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This week's newsletter, Metabolic Syndrome (MetS)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You probably don't have MetS, but I think we need to get some blood pressure info and I'd need more info on your lipid panel to make a recommendation based on that.
    On 7/14/17 my blood pressure was 138/86, hear rate 73, body weight 204lb. In June 2016 my blood pressure was 126/80, body weight 185lb. Blood pressure was taken immediately after walking me around to the patient room, and the cuff felt a bit tighter than it did before, if any of that matters.

From blood work done with 8-10 hours of fasting, taken in the morning, on 6/30/2017:
    - Cholesterol 159 (was higher in 2016)
    - Triglycerides 131 (was lower in 2016)
    - HDL 36 (was 44 in 2016, taking fish oil)
    - LDL 97 (was 129 in 2016)
    - Risk ratio LDL/HDL 2.69
    CBC was all good, metabolic panel was good (except glucose was 101, which was 95 in 2016).

Thanks for your time and help Jordan.

PS - I'm not big boned, and my hips used to be ~31" when I was a skinny 130lb, 25 year old (had 18" thighs, 28" waist, 9" upper arm, 34" chest).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I'm trying to get my weight up to 230lb within the next 6 months? My plan is to gain 2-4lb/month, and then reach and hold 230lb till I hit 3/4/5 on the main lifts.
    Just curious as to what your lifts are now?

On 7/14/17 my blood pressure was 138/86, hear rate 73, body weight 204lb. In June 2016 my blood pressure was 126/80, body weight 185lb. Blood pressure was taken immediately after walking me around to the patient room, and the cuff felt a bit tighter than it did before, if any of that matters.

From blood work done with 8-10 hours of fasting, taken in the morning, on 6/30/2017:
    - Cholesterol 159 (was higher in 2016)
    - Triglycerides 131 (was lower in 2016)
    - HDL 36 (was 44 in 2016, taking fish oil)
    - LDL 97 (was 129 in 2016)
    - Risk ratio LDL/HDL 2.69
    CBC was all good, metabolic panel was good (except glucose was 101, which was 95 in 2016).

Thanks for your time and help Jordan.

PS - I'm not big boned, and my hips used to be ~31" when I was a skinny 130lb, 25 year old (had 18" thighs, 28" waist, 9" upper arm, 34" chest).
    Yea, I wouldn't be worried about that right now. Sometimes the numbers are strange and I'd really want your total non-HDL cholesterol before saying anything else, though in fairness I am not concerned by your lipid panel or glucose at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Just curious as to what your lifts are now?
    Not great. 330x3 squat, 355x5 deadlift, 195x4 bench. Spun my wheels trying to figure out a good HLM template the last 16 weeks. Deadlift improved the most, tolerance for volume on bench improved a lot, and didn't figure out volume cycling on the squat till 8 weeks into doing HLM. Going to do 'The Bridge' for the next 8 weeks, and once I can afford to see Austin Baraki again I will, and hopefully get some guidance after finishing The Bridge.

Jordan, given my vitals and 40" gut, do you think it's ok for me to keep on gaining 2-4lb/month till I hit 230lb? Once I hit 230lb I think I'd like to put the brakes on the weight gain, and just try to hold out till I hit 3/4/5. After that I'd probably do a decent cut, and start the bulking process all over again. Or should I just try to hold out at 210lb and try to hit 3/4/5 at this weight eventually?

Not great. 330x3 squat, 355x5 deadlift, 195x4 bench. Spun my wheels trying to figure out a good HLM template the last 16 weeks. Deadlift improved the most, tolerance for volume on bench improved a lot, and didn't figure out volume cycling on the squat till 8 weeks into doing HLM. Going to do 'The Bridge' for the next 8 weeks, and once I can afford to see Austin Baraki again I will, and hopefully get some guidance after finishing The Bridge.

Jordan, given my vitals and 40" gut, do you think it's ok for me to keep on gaining 2-4lb/month till I hit 230lb? Once I hit 230lb I think I'd like to put the brakes on the weight gain, and just try to hold out till I hit 3/4/5. After that I'd probably do a decent cut, and start the bulking process all over again. Or should I just try to hold out at 210lb and try to hit 3/4/5 at this weight eventually?
    I don't think you need to do that if your programming is on point and honestly, the weight gain isn't really going to make up for poor programming IMO.

How many blood tests have you reviewed? Your thought process is not supported by evidence either, which is why we don't manage stuff based off an HDL of 44....
    Hi, Jordan, thanks for the response.
    I know only my blood tests(since 18 y.o) and of my parents. I've seen, though, a lot of it on medical forums - I just like reading mediscine articles, forums, talking to my doctor. Strange hobby, ok.
    I've never said HDL alone is the key to live a long healthy life. But agree with me, that 44 at age 30, with a glucose almost prediabetic, not so low triglycerides, and considering HDL already was less than 40, I wouldn't say the picture is good, and what can help here, is a diet. Yes, Aaron is still young, but what will be closer to 40, without changing the lifestyle? Moreover, that's why I asked about heart disease in his family.

Hips are 43", waist is 40", standing, completely relaxed (210lb, 6'1", 30). Thighs are 26.5", and lean enough to still see quads.
    I'm 6'1", just turned 36, I weigh 240 and my waist is 40", too. Except my cholesterol is 291 and my triglycerides are 520. Those weren't fasted, but as you can see, I've got you beat! We're all going to hell, but if I get there first I'll save you a seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    Hi, Jordan, thanks for the response.
    I know only my blood tests(since 18 y.o) and of my parents. I've seen, though, a lot of it on medical forums - I just like reading mediscine articles, forums, talking to my doctor. Strange hobby, ok.
    I've never said HDL alone is the key to live a long healthy life. But agree with me, that 44 at age 30, with a glucose almost prediabetic, not so low triglycerides, and considering HDL already was less than 40, I wouldn't say the picture is good, and what can help here, is a diet. Yes, Aaron is still young, but what will be closer to 40, without changing the lifestyle? Moreover, that's why I asked about heart disease in his family.
    I would not agree with your assessment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I'm 6'1", just turned 36, I weigh 240 and my waist is 40", too. Except my cholesterol is 291 and my triglycerides are 520. Those weren't fasted, but as you can see, I've got you beat! We're all going to hell, but if I get there first I'll save you a seat.
    Well Marc, what are your fasted numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I'm 6'1", just turned 36, I weigh 240 and my waist is 40", too. Except my cholesterol is 291 and my triglycerides are 520. Those weren't fasted, but as you can see, I've got you beat!
    I'd gladly trade our body weight numbers... Be interested to know you fasted lipid panel numbers though.

Maybe Jordan will come up with a super secret supplement or routine that makes trainers hate him, because it helps you shed inches off your waist without having to lose much weight. SlimzZz Rx

starting strength coach development program
    Well Marc, what are your fasted numbers?
    Won't know until I test again in October. But I predict they'll still be really bad. My dad says, "We've all got it and lifestyle changes aren't going to make a dent."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast