starting strength gym

Thread: calories in COOKED pasta?

Default calories in COOKED pasta?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Couldn't find this answered anywhere on the forum.

Just wondering how do you know how many calories there are in cooked pasta as opposed to raw. As I understand it, starch leaves the pasta into the water as it cooks, leaving less calories in the pasta. Doing a quick google search tells me that there are 158 calories per 100g of COOKED pasta/spaghetti, which is significantly less than anything I've seen on a package leading me to believe those package values are useless unless you eat it raw.
    In that case, can you take a rough fraction of the package details calories that could be more accurate than 158? (seen some decent variation in calories in pasta so makes sense to take into account the brand etc rather than always stock 158)

Thanks

I'm not aware than any caloric content in starches are removed from grains when cooking them. Admittedly, I haven't looked into it more than the brief lit search I just did and didn't find much there. It's not something I would worry about. Just use the label on the box's info.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, (but I had a friend once who made this mistake):

if you cook 100g Pasta, it's not 100g anymore. It is soaked with water and weighs around 2.5 - 3 times as much as before, thus reducing the calories per 100g. The total calories are about the same. The amount that goes into the water is minimal and can be neglected (unless you overcook them for a very long time and the water gets soup).

Quote Originally Posted by madscone999 View Post
    Couldn't find this answered anywhere on the forum.

Just wondering how do you know how many calories there are in cooked pasta as opposed to raw. As I understand it, starch leaves the pasta into the water as it cooks, leaving less calories in the pasta. Doing a quick google search tells me that there are 158 calories per 100g of COOKED pasta/spaghetti, which is significantly less than anything I've seen on a package leading me to believe those package values are useless unless you eat it raw.
    In that case, can you take a rough fraction of the package details calories that could be more accurate than 158? (seen some decent variation in calories in pasta so makes sense to take into account the brand etc rather than always stock 158)

Thanks
    Cooked Pasta

It doesn't appear that cooking pasta decrease it caloric value.

However, research shows that cooking pasta (rice, potatoes, etc) then letting it cool down and the reheating it later...

1) Reduces glucose uptake.

2) Converted it into a Resistant Starch.

The Benefits

"By cooling down and warming up carbs not only does your body absorb less glucose from these foods, but the uptake is also slower. At the same time you also stimulate your gut flora. In addition, resistant starch also has a positive effect on body composition, probably via the short chain fatty acids."

Source:

Want to lose weight or become healthier? Cook your potatoes and pasta a day ahead
    Want to lose weight or become healthier? Cook your potatoes and pasta a day ahead

Kenny Croxdale

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, (but I had a friend once who made this mistake):

if you cook 100g Pasta, it's not 100g anymore. It is soaked with water and weighs around 2.5 - 3 times as much as before, thus reducing the calories per 100g. The total calories are about the same. The amount that goes into the water is minimal and can be neglected (unless you overcook them for a very long time and the water gets soup).
    Yeah same here xD i was disappointed at the kcal content of rice. Damn did u have to eat much of that. Untill I realised I used the "cooked rice" in myfitnesspall instead of uncooked😂