starting strength gym

Thread: Low Dose Aspirin

Default Low Dose Aspirin

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Regarding a daily low dose aspirin, you said here that it was only useful for people in a certain demographic.

Would a hypothetical 35 year old in otherwise good health who has a family history of heart disease (father had a stroke and a clogged carotid artery) fit into that demographic?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    Regarding a daily low dose aspirin, you said here that it was only useful for people in a certain demographic.

Would a hypothetical 35 year old in otherwise good health who has a family history of heart disease (father had a stroke and a clogged carotid artery) fit into that demographic?
    Nope. Not yet.

It would depend on the hypothetical 35 year old profile. I'd probably want to see ldl-p (nmr lipoprofile not the usual cholesterol panel) as well as Lp(a) to get a sense of risk which may help drive if a low dose aspirin would be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post
    It would depend on the hypothetical 35 year old profile. I'd probably want to see ldl-p (nmr lipoprofile not the usual cholesterol panel) as well as Lp(a) to get a sense of risk which may help drive if a low dose aspirin would be beneficial.
    I disagree, but what is your reasoning for a baby aspirin in a young person - with or without FH? Similarly, why would you wish to risk stratify with an NMR lipoprofile in the first place? Finally, for primary prevention of CVD or stroke in this patient population what data are you basing aspirin therapy on (based on the NMR lipoprofile)?

Quote Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post
    AND...who are you (I'm also from the Thrill).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Nope. Not yet.
    Totally agree. Not indicated. And while I still take my 81mg/day, and have advised patients without contraindications to do the same, the evidence in favor of it to prevent episodes and death in people without known CAD isn't as strong as we once thought. Alas.

Aspirin to Prevent a First Heart Attack or Stroke ? TheNNTTheNNT

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Totally agree. Not indicated. And while I still take my 81mg/day, and have advised patients without contraindications to do the same, the evidence in favor of it to prevent episodes and death in people without known CAD isn't as strong as we once thought. Alas.

Aspirin to Prevent a First Heart Attack or Stroke ? TheNNTTheNNT
    Exactly. Thanks, Sully.