starting strength gym

Thread: Have I built any muscle at all?

Default Have I built any muscle at all?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan (and others), I'm 5 foot 10.5 and 186 pounds with a 510 pound deadlift, 375 pound squat (probably have 400 in me if I can learn to stay tight in the hole), 180x2 bench (I'm a shitty bencher, Andy has given me programming suggestions which are working) running HLM. According to the navy method I'm 25 percent body fat and I look it. Generally sloppy midsection, sizable love handles, 39 inch waist, don't look like I lift at all, etc. If you do the math I have about 140 pounds LBM and need to weigh 165 pounds to be 15 percent body fat. These are basically the same stats I had on day 1 so it seems as if I've built essentially NO MUSCLE AT ALL despite getting my squat to 315 pounds for 3 sets of 5, 500+ pound deadlift, etc. I'm not super bothered by it--my goals are strength which I'm getting, but I am curious why it still seems like I'm so under muscled. Thanks for your time.

How much weight have you gained and how long have you been training? It kind of sounds like you're just looking at your upper body....

When I started (four years ago) I was 210 pounds (just fat), lost weight rapidly to about 165, and over the course of 2 or 3 years I yoyo dieted randomly and unpredictably ending up at about 185 pounds with the current lifts I have. Even though it's 4 years since I started the first 3 were mostly wasted due to ignorance on just how fast I could expect to get strong. Just looking at my upper body makes sense though. My hips, quads, etc are pretty thick but since I don't have any 'before' pics I really have no idea what they started out like. Probably skinny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    When I started (four years ago) I was 210 pounds (just fat), lost weight rapidly to about 165, and over the course of 2 or 3 years I yoyo dieted randomly and unpredictably ending up at about 185 pounds with the current lifts I have. Even though it's 4 years since I started the first 3 were mostly wasted due to ignorance on just how fast I could expect to get strong. Just looking at my upper body makes sense though. My hips, quads, etc are pretty thick but since I don't have any 'before' pics I really have no idea what they started out like. Probably skinny as hell.
    You probably gained a little muscle everywhere, but not a ton because you've spent so much time in a caloric deficit.

That's probably it. I'd assumed that since my big lifts have gone up so much that I should expect muscle along with it but I know that muscle growth is not a perfect relationship with strength gains. Thanks!