starting strength gym

Thread: Questions About Meal Timing/Composition

Default Questions About Meal Timing/Composition

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Jordan, couple quick questions about To Be A Beast.

First, male, 34 y/o, 5'11", ~240 lbs., somewhere around 22-25% bf.

I decided I'm finally going to get this nutrition thing nailed down, so I went through To Be A Beast with a fine tooth comb.

Due to my work schedule, I'm a morning worker outer. I really like the idea of a shake with whey and oats (got that from the magical search function) as a pre-workout meal, and will be implementing this tomorrow. My question is, in TBAB, you say to load 30-40% of carbs around training. Based on the macros I got from using the recomp numbers, that means I'm supposed to eat anywhere from 88-118 g of carbs around my morning workout. This seems impractical. Does it matter, or can I just shift my carb intake to mostly earlier in the day and taper off as the day goes on?

Second quick question regarding the HIIT: I won't be able to make it to the gym before it closes on some Saturdays because of work. Is it okay to do the HIIT Tues/Thurs one or two weeks a month when necessary?

Thanks for your input.

My question is, in TBAB, you say to load 30-40% of carbs around training. Based on the macros I got from using the recomp numbers, that means I'm supposed to eat anywhere from 88-118 g of carbs around my morning workout. This seems impractical. Does it matter, or can I just shift my carb intake to mostly earlier in the day and taper off as the day goes on?
    You can spread them out earlier in the day, but yea 2C of oats prior to workout would be 54g carbs, which is decent.

Second quick question regarding the HIIT: I won't be able to make it to the gym before it closes on some Saturdays because of work. Is it okay to do the HIIT Tues/Thurs one or two weeks a month when necessary?
    That'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    but yea 2C of oats prior to workout would be 54g carbs,
    I always get confused with your American measurements.
    I thought "C" would mean "Cup", no?

To my information, a cup is around 0,235 Liter, 2 cups = 0,47l. That would be about 200g of oats (maybe a bit more or less, I didn't try and measure it). But in any case, much more than 54g of carbs, as 100g oats have around 63g carbs.
    So either you made a mistake or I am wrong and "C" doesn't mean "cup". What does it mean?

In 'Mericuh, 1/2 cup of oats is the typical serving size , which yields 27g carbs most of the time.

In 'Mericuh, 1/2 cup of oats is the typical serving size , which yields 27g carbs most of the time.
    In Canuckistan a typical serving size is 1/3 cup, about 30 g, which yields about 20 g of carbs. I've been doing 60 g the last couple mornings, and I'm going to toss 10 g of the cyclic dextrin I just got in with the oats and whey. Need to put the oats through the blender though. First time I just tried throwing it in the shaker cup with the whey and it was really chewy and not so good.

Might be dry/cooked confusion. 2 cups of dry oats = 80g of dry oats.

OK, thank you, Jordan. It becomes clear then.
    Twice the typical serving size is 54g of carbs, but not 2 cups

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kidcolin View Post
    Might be dry/cooked confusion. 2 cups of dry oats = 80g of dry oats.
    Right, because the nutritional info is only accurate for raw uncooked oats due to weighing error IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    OK, thank you, Jordan. It becomes clear then.
    Twice the typical serving size is 54g of carbs, but not 2 cups
    2C=80g dry oats, which is 54g carbs.