starting strength gym

Thread: "The Bridge" tempo work question

Default "The Bridge" tempo work question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm cursing your name every time I do a 3-0-3 squat. In the interest of redoubling my motivation for these grueling things, could you give some insight on what you see as the benefit/purpose of tempo work? I read the text of the PDF but I couldn't find a particular description for why this is a useful exercise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by torkins View Post
    I'm cursing your name every time I do a 3-0-3 squat. In the interest of redoubling my motivation for these grueling things, could you give some insight on what you see as the benefit/purpose of tempo work? I read the text of the PDF but I couldn't find a particular description for why this is a useful exercise.

Thanks
    It's useful for improving technique with respect to bar path, position during the eccentric and concentric, and creates fatigue with a lighter load.

Quote Originally Posted by torkins View Post
    I'm cursing your name every time I do a 3-0-3 squat.
    You're not the only one. His template which I'm following call for 530 tempo squats in a few weeks for me, and I'm already pissed off about them. They are honestly torturous, and I think I'm doing them way too light.

I find them useful as a psychological tool. They suck so much that they make volume squats, pause squats etc seem great in comparison, when ordinarily I hate them too

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's useful for improving technique with respect to bar path, position during the eccentric and concentric, and creates fatigue with a lighter load.
    So if you find that for some reason they lend themselves to slightly different technique, you're doing them wrong? I found it natural to keep a fairly constant back angle for tempo squats, which made them look more like a bodybuilder doing pump work with constant tension.

I just thought they were a litmus test for whether you hav CIP.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    So if you find that for some reason they lend themselves to slightly different technique, you're doing them wrong? I found it natural to keep a fairly constant back angle for tempo squats, which made them look more like a bodybuilder doing pump work with constant tension.
    I think people have problems adopting the correct back angle and not lifting their chest, which tempo squats address well IMO.

starting strength coach development program
    Just wanted to say this explanation really helped me focus during these on my technique and make them feel constructive instead of just punitive Thanks for the response