starting strength gym

Thread: Overseas Travel Nutrition

Default Overseas Travel Nutrition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

In a few weeks, my work team will be leaving the states for 7 days in India. I was hoping you could provide some advice on the following:

1) Should I try to bring along packable and calorie dense foods? If so, what would you recommend?
    2) Any advice on minimizing weight loss and training impact if I get sick from the local food/water?
    3) Do you have any experience taking foodstuffs and supplements through customs?

Three of the four of us making the trip are lifters, so our group would really appreciate any input.

Thank you for your time.

1) I'd pack or drop ship a tub of protein, some peanut butter, instant oats, and protein bars. Those are my go-to's.
    2) Nothing you can do about this is you actually get sick.
    3) Yep- it's never been a problem.

I travel to India semi-regularly for work. Regarding getting sick, stick to bottled water an no raw food (including fruits and veggies). My doctor prescribes antibiotics so I've got them on hand in case I do get a stomach bug. I've needed them before, so they are definitely good to have.

I haven't had any issues bringing in beef jerky and protein bars.

The hotels I stay at there have good meal options. Typically they will have a huge breakfast spread, and while I'm eating in the morning I will have the kitchen grill some chicken breasts and roast some potatoes and other vegetables. Then I take that food to work for lunch. I'll have a few protein bars as snacks during the day, and back to the hotel for supper. The hotels are typically pretty clean so eating there helps minimize the risk of getting sick.

Enjoy the trip - the Indian hospitality is legendary and you will be treated very well.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Jordan,

In a few weeks, my work team will be leaving the states for 7 days in India. I was hoping you could provide some advice on the following:

1) Should I try to bring along packable and calorie dense foods? If so, what would you recommend?
    2) Any advice on minimizing weight loss and training impact if I get sick from the local food/water?
    3) Do you have any experience taking foodstuffs and supplements through customs?

Three of the four of us making the trip are lifters, so our group would really appreciate any input.

Thank you for your time.
    I'm not Jordan, but I have been to India so I thought I might add my 2 cents to help.

1. Do you think you will be in very remote areas with no food for extended periods of time because of your work? If not, then you have nothing to worry about. India is packed full of places to eat. The food is delicious and plenty. They do not use any cow parts (beef) but other than that, meat dishes are big. The primary "warning" is just to stay away from street food. If you guys have a guide of sorts, he will bring you to places to eat. They are usually super expensive places (partially because they give the guide a free meal for the referral), but in India that means the meal is like 8 bucks (can't remember exactly)

You should take snacks, just because thats a good idea to have around regardless of where you are going.

2. Talk to your doctor about prescribing you an antibiotic in advance. Thats what I did and what many do. You don't have to take it prophylacticly, but take it at the first sign of illness. I forgot which one I got prescribed, but I can check. You can of course wait and get it there for pennies on the dollar when you are sick. But that will waste time and fake drugs are pretty prolific there. I got sick on the 2nd day, my wife didn't. "delhi belly" is real, and chance wise I would be surprised if 1 or more of you don't get sick. Unless your super strapped for cash, there is little reason not to get an antibiotic to take with you and also to get a few of the vaccines the US GOV website recommends (Typhoid vaccine for example).

3. We didn't have any issues with snacks across the border (granola bars, proteins bars, etc..)

Have a good time and take a bunch of pictures. I've traveled to alot of countries all around the world and India is one of my favorites because of the severity of the culture clash.

Depending on where you're going in India, there are supplement or what they call vitamin stores in the major cities. From memory they stock most big brands of protein (ON, BSN, Dymatize etc). If there's a group of you it could be easier to buy a tub once you get there.

I'm going to Morocco and Ghana next month for ten days so this has been on my mind as well. My wife and I are going to bring a ton of quest bars but I don't know how feasible it will be to bring protein powder.

Jordan what about supplements like creatine - is it worth it to bring it or will skipping it for ten days not be a big deal? I always feel a little sketchy bringing white powder in a baggie on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I'm going to Morocco and Ghana next month for ten days so this has been on my mind as well. My wife and I are going to bring a ton of quest bars but I don't know how feasible it will be to bring protein powder.

Jordan what about supplements like creatine - is it worth it to bring it or will skipping it for ten days not be a big deal? I always feel a little sketchy bringing white powder in a baggie on a plane.
    I've brought a container with me on international flights multiple time. My rule on the creatine is if you're training, bring it. If not, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I've brought a container with me on international flights multiple time. My rule on the creatine is if you're training, bring it. If not, don't.
    Thanks. Just to clarify - do you mean if you will be training on the trip bring it or if you are in general one who trains you should bring it?

Thank you. This will be very helpful.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Thanks. Just to clarify - do you mean if you will be training on the trip bring it or if you are in general one who trains you should bring it?
    The former.