starting strength gym

Thread: Weight Loss/Gain and BMR

Default Weight Loss/Gain and BMR

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So on a Live before you've said that BMR doesn't slow down during weight loss (and I assume by extension that it doesn't speed up during weight gain). I've always thought that that was the case, and that it was a good explanation for why weight loss/gain stalls after a certain period of time.

So if I go from 225 to 205 by lowering calories from 4200 to 4000 (or whatever), and then on 4200 I remain at 205, what is the explanation for the weight stall if not BMR? How am I framing this problem wrong...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    So on a Live before you've said that BMR doesn't slow down during weight loss (and I assume by extension that it doesn't speed up during weight gain). I've always thought that that was the case, and that it was a good explanation for why weight loss/gain stalls after a certain period of time.

So if I go from 225 to 205 by lowering calories from 4200 to 4000 (or whatever), and then on 4200 I remain at 205, what is the explanation for the weight stall if not BMR? How am I framing this problem wrong...

Thanks!
    It just doesn't change that much outside of what's expected from changes in body weight, muscle mass, body surface area, etc. That's what I meant. It changes a little bit, but not a lot. Certainly not enough to worry about getting "metabolic damage"

Right. I wasn't going in metabolic damage route. So just to be clear, is that (BMR adjusting) at least one factor in weight loss/gain stall? When one lowers one's calories and subsequently loses weight, and then stalls, is this bc (assuming everything else, e.g. activity levels, has remained constant) BMR has lowered to meet the demands of the lower calorie diet to try to achieve some sort of equilibrium?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Right. I wasn't going in metabolic damage route. So just to be clear, is that (BMR adjusting) at least one factor in weight loss/gain stall?
    It can be, yes, though it depends on the calorie deficit one is stalling from.