starting strength gym

Thread: One off weekend weight gain not going away.

Default One off weekend weight gain not going away.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan

Over the last three months I have been gaining weight at the rate of about 1kg per month to get back to the top of the 93kg class range (from 85kg). 3200 and 280/250/90 seems to be my sweet spot for this.

54 yo Male. 180/110/210kg comp lifts.

However, two Saturdays ago I had a dinner blow out (by my standards) pork belly, about half a litre of ice cream, 3 Gin & Tonics and some extra bread....didn't count the cals that day or weigh myself next day.

On the Monday I weighed 90kg, up from 88.1 on Saturday morning and it hasn't disappeared. My waist measure went up about 2 cm as well. Never had an instant weight and body fat gain after a big meal, it has always worked itself out (ahem) leaving only a small net increase.

All of these foods have never had this effect individually, nor has a cheat meal stayed with me previously, so is there something in the combination of high fat,salt and alcohol? Is it just age?

Sounds like you gained a bit of body fat and have some water that's sticking around too. It's been my experience that once per week binge eating can absolutely ruin results.

Thanks Jordan...it's slowly coming off.

My question is more about the mechanism that causes this.
    I've increased my calorie intake by about 50% up to 3200 per day from when I was cutting. Maintenance level is about 2700 per day.
    This extra 500 per day leads to 1kg increase per month, yet an extra 2-3000 in one day added 1.8kg. Doesn't it take 3300 extra (or fewer) cals to add (lose) 1lb?

Is there something about a mix of alcohol/ pork and ice cream that sends the body crazy?? Just trying to understand.

These things aren't linear and a hyper-lipogenic situation like you had, well...seems like you probably gained a half pound of fat and the rest water/ GI contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Sounds like you gained a bit of body fat and have some water that's sticking around too. It's been my experience that once per week binge eating can absolutely ruin results.
    Resulsts as in? How does 1 "fuck up" do that. Seems crazy

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    Resulsts as in? How does 1 "fuck up" do that. Seems crazy
    Results as in weight loss. It puts someone in a uniquely hypercaloric situation that ruins progress.