starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recomping to fill out a weight class

Default recomping to fill out a weight class

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    If I'm interested in competing in the USAPL and I'm sitting at the top of a weight class with a body fat percentage that's too high and I want to recomp to fill out that weight class, is it necessary to cut body weight and then rebuild with more muscle mass or could I hold steady at the top of the weight class and slowly recomp as my lifts improve? Some details:
    5'10.5" 185 pounds, hoping to compete at 83kg. Pretty skinny fat and under muscled at least in the upper body (38 inch waist) despite being fairly light:

385 squat, 515 deadlift, 190 bench, 150 press (mentioned before that some advice from Andy is finally getting the bench to move)

I know that in the long run I'm too tall for 83 kg. Currently running HLM, probably trained seriously for a couple of years. I guess this is the age old repeatedly answered question of 'can I lose fat and build muscle at the same time' in disguise which I know is pretty much impossible for intermediates. So I guess I'm wondering if it might be possible that my upper body lifts are so incredibly far behind that just maybe it might be possible that my upper body experiences the newbie recomp with appropriate training. Thanks for taking the time to read/answer.

You shouldn't (and can't) recomp in the 83kg class, though your waistline may decrease without losing weight via training-related mechanisms. That said, if you're young and want to compete, you're a 110kg lifter

I knew I would one day need go gain more weight if I wanted to be competitive but I thought maybe I should at least be 15 percent in 83kg instead of starting out at 185 pounds and 25 percent body fat only to get an even higher body fat percentage when moving up to higher weight classes. But just out of curiosity, why specifically can't you recomp in 83kg? Are there other weight classes where you CAN recomp? Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    I knew I would one day need go gain more weight if I wanted to be competitive but I thought maybe I should at least be 15 percent in 83kg instead of starting out at 185 pounds and 25 percent body fat only to get an even higher body fat percentage when moving up to higher weight classes. But just out of curiosity, why specifically can't you recomp in 83kg? Are there other weight classes where you CAN recomp? Thanks again for the help.
    You won't ever be a competitive 83kg lifter because the competitive ones squat and deadlift 600 and bench ~400. You need to gain weight to be able to train productively and get stronger. Trying to diet/do conditioning/be lean will allow you to be an 83, but not compete.

There are no weight classes to recomp in because you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    There are no weight classes to recomp in because you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.
    I've wanted to ask this for some time. Why is this from a mechanism standpoint? I believe it so this isn't a challenge. If you are training to induce muscle growth and adapt, and have spare fuel in the form of fat, why doesn't the body use that fuel instead of requiring a surplus ingested?

You won't ever be a competitive 83kg lifter because the competitive ones squat and deadlift 600 and bench ~400. You need to gain weight to be able to train productively and get stronger. Trying to diet/do conditioning/be lean will allow you to be an 83, but not compete.

Jordan, you're 5' 10" right? What are you weighing these days, like 195-205, right?

OP,
    I am a half inch taller than you, probably a lot older (I'm knocking on the door of 43). I can't imagine weighing 185. I sit around 245-250. Could probably diet down to about 225, and then cut water for a 220 class, but that would be futility. Train to get stronger and don't worry about weight class for now.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I've wanted to ask this for some time. Why is this from a mechanism standpoint? I believe it so this isn't a challenge. If you are training to induce muscle growth and adapt, and have spare fuel in the form of fat, why doesn't the body use that fuel instead of requiring a surplus ingested?
    You're suggesting that fatty acid oxidation is an important energy source for muscle protein synthesis. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Jordan, you're 5' 10" right? What are you weighing these days, like 195-205, right?
    Si, senor.

I am a half inch taller than you, probably a lot older (I'm knocking on the door of 43). I can't imagine weighing 185. I sit around 245-250. Could probably diet down to about 225, and then cut water for a 220 class, but that would be futility. Train to get stronger and don't worry about weight class for now.

Agreed.

OP,

I understand that we are two different people, but to add onto Crookedfinger's anecdote. I am 23 years old, 210-212 pounds at 5'10" with a 37 ish inch waist around the belly button. I have gained 1-2 inches around the waist since starting starting strength but have gained a total of over 30 pounds and it isn't slowing down much. So yeah. . .from following the program and getting stronger you will be WAY over 83kg

Dr. Feigenbaum,
    I previously thought the 110kg weight class sounded perfect for 5'10" individuals (on average. . . .), but I also heard the USAPL recently restructured to the IPF weight classes? Should someone eye-ing competitive lifting (I'm not. . .too weak and too novice) at this height shoot for the 105kg weight class now? or the 120 kg class?

starting strength coach development program
    You're suggesting that fatty acid oxidation is an important energy source for muscle protein synthesis. It is not.
    I wasn't really suggesting it, but noted. I'm learning something. What is the important energy source for muscle protein synthesis then? Dr Google didn't help answer that question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast