starting strength gym

Thread: Chicken and tingles?

Default Chicken and tingles?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,
    Odd question here. I can eat in excess of a pound of steak, as well as a 2-3 pounds of Greek yogurt (no exaggeration) without issue. However, if I eat a large volume of chicken breast - say 8 ounces to a pound - I get a prickling/tingling sensation similar to that created by beta alanine. Is this a normal reaction, and why does it only seem to occur with chicken?
    As I ask this, I'm tingling due to eating 8 oz of Costco rotisserie chicken breast.
    Thanks
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    Hey Jordan,
    Odd question here. I can eat in excess of a pound of steak, as well as a 2-3 pounds of Greek yogurt (no exaggeration) without issue. However, if I eat a large volume of chicken breast - say 8 ounces to a pound - I get a prickling/tingling sensation similar to that created by beta alanine. Is this a normal reaction, and why does it only seem to occur with chicken?
    As I ask this, I'm tingling due to eating 8 oz of Costco rotisserie chicken breast.
    Thanks
    Scott
    Never heard of it. You're eating chicken plain?

Just so the OP doesn't feel insane I've experienced the same thing, but not just with chicken. I'll get it occasionally after eating a LARGE amount of protein (think like 60-70g) in a short time. It's an "itchy" tingle kind of like your skin is crawling? I notice it mostly in my hands and legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Never heard of it. You're eating chicken plain?
    Yep - if you mean "plain" seasonings-wise, it happens whether I cook it myself (plain old sear-roast, just salt and pepper) or eat a rotisserie (usually discard most of the skin) from the grocery. If I'm cooking it myself, I'll often throw in about 1/2 tbs of butter for a better sear and/or light BBQ sauce, but that's about it, and neither of those ingredients causes me issues elsewhere. But definitely no crazy ingredients added.

What I eat with chicken doesn't seem to make any difference either. I usually either will have rice or green beans with it, and either case seems to produce the same effect. Like the butter/BBQ sauce, I can eat either of these items chicken-free without issue.

It's wild that I seem to be an anomaly here - I had no idea why this was happening now and then without any pre-workout in my system for some time until I realized it always follows a healthy dose of chicken.

Thanks for answering nonetheless.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    Just so the OP doesn't feel insane I've experienced the same thing, but not just with chicken. I'll get it occasionally after eating a LARGE amount of protein (think like 60-70g) in a short time. It's an "itchy" tingle kind of like your skin is crawling? I notice it mostly in my hands and legs...
    Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not nuts. In my case, it only seems to be poultry-specific. Beef in quantities > 1 pound doesn't seem to produce it, nor did a breakfast yesterday of 2.5 pounds of greek yogurt and 2 cups of 1% milk (about 100g protein in one sitting). But yes @djoksimo, exactly what you describe. Don't know if you've taken a pre-workout with Beta Alanine, but it's identical to that. Skin on my extremities and ears will get a pins and needles feeling.

A quick Google I just did seems to show others with this sensation - the best result I've found suggests that there are moderate quantities of Beta Alanine in poultry, and that particularly sensitive folk can experience the typical tingles from it. But this was a quickly found result while at work, and I didn't dig any further as far as fact checking, and I have little more than rudimentary nutrition knowledge, so that info could very well be refutable.

So I may have cracked this... after some googling it turns out chicken is pretty rich in beta-alanine. Something like 2g to 8oz of chicken. I'll have to do some experimenting with a couple of meals but it's entirely possible (especially if the OP is eating most of a rotisserie) that we're just sensitive to it. I'm trying to think of a specific time I got this reaction without chicken but now I'm having a hard time (I eat a LOT of chicken).

So maybe that's just it. OP and I eat so much chicken it's like a pre-w/o supplement lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not nuts. In my case, it only seems to be poultry-specific. Beef in quantities > 1 pound doesn't seem to produce it, nor did a breakfast yesterday of 2.5 pounds of greek yogurt and 2 cups of 1% milk (about 100g protein in one sitting). But yes @djoksimo, exactly what you describe. Don't know if you've taken a pre-workout with Beta Alanine, but it's identical to that. Skin on my extremities and ears will get a pins and needles feeling.

A quick Google I just did seems to show others with this sensation - the best result I've found suggests that there are moderate quantities of Beta Alanine in poultry, and that particularly sensitive folk can experience the typical tingles from it. But this was a quickly found result while at work, and I didn't dig any further as far as fact checking, and I have little more than rudimentary nutrition knowledge, so that info could very well be refutable.
    Sounds like we pretty much found the same thing at the same time...

Yep looks like we are agreed.

Guess I'll do some experimentation too. I'll start at 2 oz, then TAHtrate it up...

starting strength coach development program
    No tingles, but if I eat a large amount of chicken at dinner time, I usually wake up during the night feeling hot and sweating. The same amount of protein from other meats doesn't do this.