starting strength gym

Thread: Cutting and sleep

Default Cutting and sleep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I've been sleeping poorly the last couple weeks. I generally get to sleep fine but within a few hours toss and turn, awake 7-8 times a night. The last few days its more like 10-15 times overnight. Averaging 7 hours interrupted sleep.

I've also been on a pretty restrictive cut from 2200 cal/day to about 1300-1400 (210/40/40 p/c/f) (which isn't working particularly well from a loss standpoint that I can't suss out, but 1800 didn't work either - WTF?) for about 6 weeks.

BTW, male, 49, 5'10", 205 lb shooting to get to 190 lb, being sick of the 42-43" waist. Training 3x week, riding 40 minutes at my top sustainable pace 3x week. Have hit all the low (and higher up) hanging fruit in regards to good sleep habits (they have been in place years). Lifts have not crashed but not progress either (I have not expected them too).

Mostly noting a correlation and wondering if you've seen that it could be causation. Or is it just coincidence.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Hi Jordan,

I've been sleeping poorly the last couple weeks. I generally get to sleep fine but within a few hours toss and turn, awake 7-8 times a night. The last few days its more like 10-15 times overnight. Averaging 7 hours interrupted sleep.

I've also been on a pretty restrictive cut from 2200 cal/day to about 1300-1400 (210/40/40 p/c/f) (which isn't working particularly well from a loss standpoint that I can't suss out, but 1800 didn't work either - WTF?) for about 6 weeks.

BTW, male, 49, 5'10", 205 lb shooting to get to 190 lb, being sick of the 42-43" waist. Training 3x week, riding 40 minutes at my top sustainable pace 3x week. Have hit all the low (and higher up) hanging fruit in regards to good sleep habits (they have been in place years). Lifts have not crashed but not progress either (I have not expected them too).

Mostly noting a correlation and wondering if you've seen that it could be causation. Or is it just coincidence.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
    Anything else going on anxiety/stress wise? Any changes to your sleeping environment lately? How about any change in caffeine or stimulant use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Anything else going on anxiety/stress wise? Any changes to your sleeping environment lately? How about any change in caffeine or stimulant use?
    In a word, no. No changes. Those were some of the lower hanging fruit I verified. Life is going well. No extra stress. If anything, it's a little less now that school for my daughter has started back up. Maybe a little due to the cut but I'm not miserable or anything. No delta in caffeine. About 1L coffee a day which is where it has been for 20 years and all before noon. No other stimulants at all. Sleep environment is again as it has always been. Dark with a little white noise from a fan. No electronics at all.

In a word, no. No changes. Those were some of the lower hanging fruit I verified. Life is going well. No extra stress. If anything, it's a little less now that school for my daughter has started back up. Maybe a little due to the cut but I'm not miserable or anything. No delta in caffeine. About 1L coffee a day which is where it has been for 20 years and all before noon. No other stimulants at all. Sleep environment is again as it has always been. Dark with a little white noise from a fan. No electronics at all.
    And when do you train? How about do your cardio?

Alternatively, it's not unusual to have some periodic episodes of interrupted sleep. So, it's possible it's nothing at all.

I train M, W in the late afternoon 4-6 and Saturday in the morning. Cardio is Sun, T, R in the early evening 6ish. Been that way the last couple years.

starting strength coach development program
    I train M, W in the late afternoon 4-6 and Saturday in the morning. Cardio is Sun, T, R in the early evening 6ish. Been that way the last couple years.
    Yea, I mean barring some other info I'm not comfortable discussing here or picking up on I might recommend trying to train earlier, cutting down caffeine, and relaxation exercises prior to bed time. That said, it may not be anything at all either so there's that.