starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HIIT protocol update

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingWayne View Post
    Just to draw out one of the other parts of the OP, when doing 20s on/ 1:40 min off do you rest for 1:40 or maintain activity at a lighter load?

At the moment I use a stationary bike and usually continue to pedal at a lower intensity, but could probably do more rounds or reduce rest periods if I dropped the lighter work.
    I would just rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    What do you suggest to maintain strength and not necessarily get stronger/bigger, lift 3x and HIIT 2x? I've competed several times, my best wilks was 446, when I had to bench 20kg under my max due to a shoulder injury. I'm definitely done with PL but I wouldn't mind keeping the bare minimum volume for squats/deads to maintain strength I suppose. My end goal is still primarily fat loss and the health/cognitive benefits listed in that wikipedia article (can you get those benefits from lifting, or does it have to be cardio as stated?)

It seems that you're not a huge fan of HIIT anymore as of late (from the posts I've read in 2016-2017 compared to the ones in 2013-2015), why's that?
    Have any videos of you competing?

I suggest training the main lifts 2-3x/wk and conditioning 2-3x/wk. I like HIIT still, but there are more components to conditioning development than just HIIT. We always are learning.

446 Wilks. Nice. That's no joke. 450+ qualifies for the Arnold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I would just rest.

Have any videos of you competing?

I suggest training the main lifts 2-3x/wk and conditioning 2-3x/wk. I like HIIT still, but there are more components to conditioning development than just HIIT. We always are learning.
    You've asked me this twice now, why the suspicion? #TeamRTS Lifter Tayan Patel @hyperfluxe... - Reactive Training Systems | Facebook

I forgot how brutal HIIT is with your protocol. I barely did 2 sessions this week. What are you thoughts on moderate intensity cardio (~170 bpm)? What I thought I was doing as LISS was actually 170bpm sustained for around 15-20 mins, my muscles burn and I sweat a lot - it feels like a real stimulus unlike LISS (140 bpm). I think I'll go with your recommendations for frequency on lifting + conditioning, it's a happy medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    446 Wilks. Nice. That's no joke. 450+ qualifies for the Arnold.
    Agreed

Mostly because I find the resistance to actually train frustrating to deal with.

I forgot how brutal HIIT is with your protocol. I barely did 2 sessions this week. What are you thoughts on moderate intensity cardio (~170 bpm)? What I thought I was doing as LISS was actually 170bpm sustained for around 15-20 mins, my muscles burn and I sweat a lot - it feels like a real stimulus unlike LISS (140 bpm). I think I'll go with your recommendations for frequency on lifting + conditioning, it's a happy medium.
    Moderate intensity cardio wouldn't be 170bpm really. It's a bit too high (if accurate) to be a good aerobic training stimulus for someone without an extensive aerobic base already.

Agreed

Mostly because I find the resistance to actually train frustrating to deal with.

Moderate intensity cardio wouldn't be 170bpm really. It's a bit too high (if accurate) to be a good aerobic training stimulus for someone without an extensive aerobic base already.
    What kind of exercise is 170bpm and what are its benefits? It feels a bit like HIIT in terms of sweating, being out of breath and stimulus but it's not nearly as taxing and I feel better in terms of mood and cognition.

Moderate intensity cardio and I don't think it's useful outside of event specific training.

Alright, it looks like I have a happy medium with 3x lifting and 2x week HIIT. Is it fine to do HIIT on a stationary bike if both the c2 rower and assault bike are taken?

Just for the record, I think YMMV highly here. My HRs have come down from what they were 10-15 years ago, but I still clock an average of 178-180 on a half-marathon, and that is for more than a 100 minutes, so I'd say, there are plenty of people for whom the baseline working HRs are so high that 170 is indeed moderate. At least for me (and I'm 41) it is way below the anaerobic threshold.

-H.

A few things:

1) Yes that's the basic recommendation for HIIT with the work:rest intervals and volume being modified to suit the individual.
    2) Why are you not training your lower body right now and if you can't train your lower body, how can you be expected to do HIIT?
    3) The frequency is dependent on total needs of the individual so, why are you doing HIIT?
    Wait, it's complete rest between the 20 second intervals? As in stop rowing completely? Shit, I've been doing it wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Alright, it looks like I have a happy medium with 3x lifting and 2x week HIIT. Is it fine to do HIIT on a stationary bike if both the c2 rower and assault bike are taken?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiedemies View Post
    Just for the record, I think YMMV highly here. My HRs have come down from what they were 10-15 years ago, but I still clock an average of 178-180 on a half-marathon, and that is for more than a 100 minutes, so I'd say, there are plenty of people for whom the baseline working HRs are so high that 170 is indeed moderate. At least for me (and I'm 41) it is way below the anaerobic threshold.

-H.

You've misunderstood what I said. It's not useful to train in this range outside of sports specific applications.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    Wait, it's complete rest between the 20 second intervals? As in stop rowing completely? Shit, I've been doing it wrong.
    You can do it either way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12