starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIIT protocol update

Default HIIT protocol update

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan, I am planning on adding HIIT to my current programming which I have done a couple of years ago as per your protocol. I'm just wondering if the protocol for HIIT remains the same: C2 rower 20 secs on, 100 secs off (this means resting right, not low intensity cardio?) for 7 intervals? At what frequency can I perform HIIT using this protocol if I'm not resistance training my lower body right now? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    Hi Jordan, I am planning on adding HIIT to my current programming which I have done a couple of years ago as per your protocol. I'm just wondering if the protocol for HIIT remains the same: C2 rower 20 secs on, 100 secs off (this means resting right, not low intensity cardio?) for 7 intervals? At what frequency can I perform HIIT using this protocol if I'm not resistance training my lower body right now? Thanks.
    A few things:

1) Yes that's the basic recommendation for HIIT with the work:rest intervals and volume being modified to suit the individual.
    2) Why are you not training your lower body right now and if you can't train your lower body, how can you be expected to do HIIT?
    3) The frequency is dependent on total needs of the individual so, why are you doing HIIT?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    A few things:

1) Yes that's the basic recommendation for HIIT with the work:rest intervals and volume being modified to suit the individual.
    2) Why are you not training your lower body right now and if you can't train your lower body, how can you be expected to do HIIT?
    3) The frequency is dependent on total needs of the individual so, why are you doing HIIT?
    This is going to sound odd but I don't powerlift anymore, I've lost interest and my goals have changed. I was happy doing barbell lunges for a while and squatting/deadlifting once a week to maintain strength, but now I just want to bodybuild/train for 'aesthetics'. I still train my upper body regularly but I am more than happy with my lower body development, so I thought that I'd just do a combination of HIIT and LISS throughout the week to fill that lower body stimulus gap. My goals at this point are just fat loss really, and getting a good stimulus in the gym so I can still eat a decent amount of food which HIIT seems to provide.

At first I thought of doing HIIT 5x a week on weekdays and training upper body right after, but maybe that might be too much and HIIT 3x with two LISS sessions in between might be better. What do you think?

That won't work well. You should still squat as well. It's good for you, I promise.

That won't work well for what? I haven't noticed any detriments to my quality of life or physique from not squatting/deadlifting in the last few weeks.

To be clear, my current goals are all the benefits listed in this article Neurobiological effects of physical exercise - Wikipedia plus fat loss. I figured that taking away squats/deadlifts and replacing them with HIIT + LISS would be a good option since I don't powerlift anymore, but I'm open.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    That won't work well for what? I haven't noticed any detriments to my quality of life or physique from not squatting/deadlifting in the last few weeks.
    It's a few weeks, dude. You will atrophy to some extent, get weaker, and compromise muscular development in other areas. It's your choice, but you're going to wish you had an opportunity to get your GainzZz back (and time).

Also, did you ever compete in PL?

Just to draw out one of the other parts of the OP, when doing 20s on/ 1:40 min off do you rest for 1:40 or maintain activity at a lighter load?

At the moment I use a stationary bike and usually continue to pedal at a lower intensity, but could probably do more rounds or reduce rest periods if I dropped the lighter work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's a few weeks, dude. You will atrophy to some extent, get weaker, and compromise muscular development in other areas. It's your choice, but you're going to wish you had an opportunity to get your GainzZz back (and time).

Also, did you ever compete in PL?
    What do you suggest to maintain strength and not necessarily get stronger/bigger, lift 3x and HIIT 2x? I've competed several times, my best wilks was 446, when I had to bench 20kg under my max due to a shoulder injury. I'm definitely done with PL but I wouldn't mind keeping the bare minimum volume for squats/deads to maintain strength I suppose. My end goal is still primarily fat loss and the health/cognitive benefits listed in that wikipedia article (can you get those benefits from lifting, or does it have to be cardio as stated?)

It seems that you're not a huge fan of HIIT anymore as of late (from the posts I've read in 2016-2017 compared to the ones in 2013-2015), why's that?

starting strength coach development program
    Kiddo, few around here "powerlift". We train for strength, sometimes with nuance towards aesthetics. Best accomplished by what this forum advocates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast