starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 27 year old male, testosterone came back low (222ng/dl)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Awesome, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CremaKing View Post
    Ask your doctor about Clomid before starting TRT.
    This would be reasonable if there were problems with LH and FSH not otherwise explained, but it's not always a good treatment nor is it better than replacing testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonason Herschlag View Post
    I assume you are aware that if you go on T replacement, your body will produce less of its own and you could destroy any future possibility of having kids.

Personally I more than doubled my own body's production of T with a small daily dosage (now I'm only taking 50mg 4X/wk) of a pill of Clomiphene Citrate. You might want to look into that and look into if you are a candidate for it.

Are you getting enough zinc? Certain deficiencies such as zinc deficiency can lead to lower T.
    Legitimately everything in this post is is wrong (besides folks with certain etiologies of hypogonadism). Otherwise, it's all silly BS. Please stop posting here, Yonason.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    Awesome, thanks.
    You're welcome.

My guess is it was just a bad test. I'd just eaten a huge meal, had a huge deadlift session, and it was done after 3 pm. I have another test scheduled for Friday at 9:20 am that I will do completely fasted and with no caffeine. Jordan is there any association with testosterone and difficulty developing ONLY upper body strength but not lower body? I've always thought women have proportionally weaker upper bodies but I'm thinking that might be a myth simply because women probably don't care about developing their upper body as much.

Quote Originally Posted by synnfusion View Post
    My guess is it was just a bad test. I'd just eaten a huge meal, had a huge deadlift session, and it was done after 3 pm. I have another test scheduled for Friday at 9:20 am that I will do completely fasted and with no caffeine. Jordan is there any association with testosterone and difficulty developing ONLY upper body strength but not lower body? I've always thought women have proportionally weaker upper bodies but I'm thinking that might be a myth simply because women probably don't care about developing their upper body as much.
    Nah. Androgen receptor density and distribution is the main issue there

Good. The last thing I need is the mental block of thinking there's a hormonal reason I can't bench half my squat.

Jordan, recently I watched one of Rip's podcasts where he vaguely suggested that older lifters should be on TRT. I will turn 60 in a little over two weeks, so I don't feel I fit into this category yet. Next month, though, I might want to know more about it. So, just for shits and giggles, since my retired "Jarhead" insurance will cover it, what is your recommendation on who should go on TRT and who shouldn't? I've had my T checked twice in the past, once in my twenties after a ligation of my spermatic vein due to a vericocile, and once in my forties when my wife and I were trying to conceive. Both times my T was in normal levels. My subsequent wife and I are expecting a healthy baby boy next month, and it was done the old fashioned way; wearing boxer shorts, taking cool showers, laying off the self gratification, and getting the ovulation timed just right. That being said, I don't think I have low T, at least not for my age. I've always depended on the "Wood Meter" as my indicator. If I consistently wake up with the "morning wood," I figure my T must be ok. Is there a reason for a 60 year old lifter to go on TRT if his T is not the same as it was way back when a spontaneous hard on in church was more likely than getting lucky with a hot girl?

I think those who have evidence of low testosterone (below the reference range) on 2 separate measurements done first thing in the AM that is not better explained by another medical reason should be on TRT. A lot of the symptoms are nuanced™ and not necessarily due to low T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I think those who have evidence of low testosterone (below the reference range) on 2 separate measurements done first thing in the AM that is not better explained by another medical reason should be on TRT. A lot of the symptoms are nuanced™ and not necessarily due to low T.
    Curious about "first thing in the morning." I seem to remember my urologist telling me that T Levels typically peak at around 3-4 in the morning and then decrease through out the day. It seemed to me (I am again recalling a conversation) that he wanted me tested as early as possible. He preferred 6-7 AM as that was when the lab opened. I, of course, could be remembering the conversation incorrectly, or he could be wrong.

Riding off of Topcraig's comment, have SNRIs been shown to reduce testosterone production? I've been on venlafaxine for about a year and have noticed a significant drop in sex drive.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Curious about "first thing in the morning." I seem to remember my urologist telling me that T Levels typically peak at around 3-4 in the morning and then decrease through out the day. It seemed to me (I am again recalling a conversation) that he wanted me tested as early as possible. He preferred 6-7 AM as that was when the lab opened. I, of course, could be remembering the conversation incorrectly, or he could be wrong.
    GnRH tends to peak early in the morning with a subsequent bump in T first thing in the AM. That said, the undulating nature of testosterone is best captured (without artifact) first thing in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewL View Post
    Riding off of Topcraig's comment, have SNRIs been shown to reduce testosterone production? I've been on venlafaxine for about a year and have noticed a significant drop in sex drive.
    Not that I'm aware of.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast