starting strength gym

Thread: Feeling shaky during workouts

Default Feeling shaky during workouts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, wondering if you encounter this with other lifters: no matter how soon prior to working out I eat, I get shaky after squats and find it very challenging to muster the energy to bench, and then deadlifts are a nightmare. This has been the case throughout my LP experience. Just to give you an idea of what I eat on an average day:

9AM: 4 eggs, bagel, cream cheese, 2 cups yogurt
    11AM: Banana
    1 PM: 2 servings chicken breast, 1-2 cups rice, and vegetables
    4 PM: Sandwich with 4-6 oz of turkey breast, cheese, etc.
    5:30PM: Drink some Gainzzz. start working out. On bad days I feel slightly hungry here. On good days I feel full.
    6:00PM: finished with squats. I usually feel moderately hungry and shaky by this point
    6:30PM: finished with bench press (this might take shorter but I have to wait for a bench to open up). At this point I feel very hungry, like I could eat a Whopper and still be hungry.
    6:45PM: deadlift miserably, full on shakes from hunger
    7:30PM: half a box of pasta and a can of tuna fish with some vegetables

I don't see anyone else eating food at the gym, even guys who are doing SS LPs. Is there anything I can do to be less hungry during my workouts?? Throughout the rest of the day I feel quite full, and don't feel like I can eat more at 4 PM.

Stats:
    Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 180 lb, have been steadily gaining 1.5 lb/week for the past month.
    Squat: 265 lb
    Bench: 175 lb
    Deadlift: 320 lb

I am doing advanced novice squats, alternating bench and press. Pulling is: Monday, deadlift 1x5; Wednesday, Chin ups; Friday, Power cleans 5x3 due to the fact I can only deadlift where I workout on Monday. Any more info I need to provide? I don't have any health conditions that I'm aware of.

Have you tried eating your 1pm meal for a 2nd time at 5pm?

I have tried at 4:45pm, because I commute 5-5:30 to the gym. It definitely helps somewhat, but there were still days I felt shaky. Are you suggesting the only solution is I need to get more of my daily calories closer to the start of my workout? Because if that's the case I'm happy to try it, I just wanted to check in here to see if there was anything obvious I'm missing.

I'm mainly confused because I am consistently gaining 1.5 lb/week.

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    I have tried at 4:45pm, because I commute 5-5:30 to the gym. It definitely helps somewhat, but there were still days I felt shaky. Are you suggesting the only solution is I need to get more of my daily calories closer to the start of my workout? Because if that's the case I'm happy to try it, I just wanted to check in here to see if there was anything obvious I'm missing.

I'm mainly confused because I am consistently gaining 1.5 lb/week.
    Yea I think I would try eating closer to the workout in a more slowly digesting food.