starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Weight Gain for Maximal Strength Potential

Default Proper Weight Gain for Maximal Strength Potential

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, my name is Ethan, and I will be competing in the 165 weight class for powerlifting in December. I am 5 foot 11 inches, and roughly 158 pounds as of today. I want to beat the state record for my age class (I'm 16) and weight class. An example of one of my strength goals is to deadlift 700 pounds one day, being able to deadlift ~405 now based on training numbers.

Anyways, in order to pull 700, how big should I get after the meet? I was thinking about bulking up to 275-308, or is that too much? I want to have decent relative strength but overall be stronger than the average bear, so I have to become a bear, right?

Simple question: what is the ideal weight class for my height, which is 5'11. And should I hope/try to be 100 lbs bigger in a year, with a decent bf % (like 15-17, I am an ectomorph, my body composes itself well, currently like 12% bf).

Thanks you guys!

I think if you're 5'11 and want to pull 700, but deadlift 405 right now- you should bulk to 400lbs or so, then cut afterwards.

Wow, that is shocking. But I will heed your advice Jordan, thankyou sir. I will be a novice for a long time when I'm gaining 250 pounds!

Ethan,
    I've coached a bunch of high school power lifters - male and female - over the last few years. The biggest mistake each and everyone of them make at your age is being worried about weight class and thus, not eating enough to fuel growth. The answer to your question is you're going to need to weigh more than you think you need to. You should focus on consistently training, eating enough to grow and doing so for the next few years. That is probably not the answer you want, but it is the answer you need to hear.

Jordan, I'm surprised you replied to this post. This guy is at least 45, probably with a college degree, and most likely spends most of his time in his parents basement, in his underwear, in front of his computer.

Quote Originally Posted by topcraig View Post
    Jordan, I'm surprised you replied to this post. This guy is at least 45, probably with a college degree, and most likely spends most of his time in his parents basement, in his underwear, in front of his computer.
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by topcraig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Sounds about right.
    LOL. you guys haven't spent much time coaching/working with teenage boys. This seemed totally legit to me

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    LOL. you guys haven't spent much time coaching/working with teenage boys. This seemed totally legit to me
    Lol, nah.

He started this same topic in 4 different forums so unless he is a super troll I think he's really 16.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when he told his parents around the dinner table he was going to bulk to 400 lbs. Lol.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll listen to all you guys' advice. And no, lol, I'm not 45, I'm 16, I promise. I want to be like Benedikt Magnusson, and be a big Viking... I can't wait to get huge!

Thanks you guys. I know you work hard, Jordan, on this forum and in the starting strength community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast