starting strength gym

Thread: Caloric differences between training and non-training days

Default Caloric differences between training and non-training days

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

What are your thoughts about caloric differences between training and non-training days? 3,150 KCals for training days (carbs higher, fat lower), and 2,550 KCals for non-training days (carbs moderate, fat moderate), to build muscle and strength while keeping fat gain to a minimum. The training days are a little short of To Be A Beast recommendations at 87.2 kgs.

This is my current dietary regime. I am a 39 year old male who is doing the novice progression. Strength gains are in line with expectations, with 0.5 kgs to 0.75 kgs weight gain per week and an accompanying fat gain of circa 0.25 to 0.5 inches per week on waist measurement.

Is this workable or optimal? Would increasing non-training days to the same caloric intake as training days improve performance or would it just add fat?

Thank you sir, for your thoughts and time.

T

Quote Originally Posted by teddyd View Post
    Jordan,

What are your thoughts about caloric differences between training and non-training days? 3,150 KCals for training days (carbs higher, fat lower), and 2,550 KCals for non-training days (carbs moderate, fat moderate), to build muscle and strength while keeping fat gain to a minimum. The training days are a little short of To Be A Beast recommendations at 87.2 kgs.

This is my current dietary regime. I am a 39 year old male who is doing the novice progression. Strength gains are in line with expectations, with 0.5 kgs to 0.75 kgs weight gain per week and an accompanying fat gain of circa 0.25 to 0.5 inches per week on waist measurement.

Is this workable or optimal? Would increasing non-training days to the same caloric intake as training days improve performance or would it just add fat?

Thank you sir, for your thoughts and time.

T
    I don't think calories should be different on training vs non training days outside of some compliance reason. You do most of your recovery on non training days, so the strategy is illogical IMO.

Thanks Jordan. It is what my current coach has me doing although I will ask to increase calories on non-training days over the next couple of weeks to match training days.

Thanks Jordan. It is what my current coach has me doing although I will ask to increase calories on non-training days over the next couple of weeks to match training days.
    That begs another question. If you have a coach whom you trust to pay money to in exchange for overseeing this training operation, why ask my opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That begs another question. If you have a coach whom you trust to pay money to in exchange for overseeing this training operation, why ask my opinion?
    Fair question.

I ask as I am considering asking you to coach me once I have completed the last weeks of my paid up coaching period. As I have 7 weeks left I am using the interim as a dietary transition period. My current coach is a bodybuilding coach (one of the few with integrity and for whom I have much respect (FWIW)) and have been training as a bodybuilder up to 6 days a week for the last few years using his programs and his dietary advice. I have now focused on strength training together with, as you have put it, "general jackitude", which entails a change of perspective from whom I receive coaching. My current coach knows I am doing the novice SS progression and is continuing to providing dietary advice on my suggestions of caloric changes and increases. The change in training goals stemmed from a personal disillusionment of physique/bodybuilding as a natural.

Further, I am considering the SSC and I think it necessary to view nutrition from a strength, performance, and visual (this has some importance for a portion of the training population) perspective.

I do hope that you have the capacity to consider new clients. I can email you directly at Barbell Medicine.

Fair question.

I ask as I am considering asking you to coach me once I have completed the last weeks of my paid up coaching period. As I have 7 weeks left I am using the interim as a dietary transition period. My current coach is a bodybuilding coach (one of the few with integrity and for whom I have much respect (FWIW)) and have been training as a bodybuilder up to 6 days a week for the last few years using his programs and his dietary advice. I have now focused on strength training together with, as you have put it, "general jackitude", which entails a change of perspective from whom I receive coaching. My current coach knows I am doing the novice SS progression and is continuing to providing dietary advice on my suggestions of caloric changes and increases. The change in training goals stemmed from a personal disillusionment of physique/bodybuilding as a natural.

Further, I am considering the SSC and I think it necessary to view nutrition from a strength, performance, and visual (this has some importance for a portion of the training population) perspective.

I do hope that you have the capacity to consider new clients. I can email you directly at Barbell Medicine.
    Ah that makes more sense. Happy to have you, Teddy.

But no, I wouldn't recommend alternating calories like that.

Jordan, you discussed using this as a strategy in your TBAB article. Have you changed your mind on this? Do you no longer cycle calories with strength athletes?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CharBrisc View Post
    Jordan, you discussed using this as a strategy in your TBAB article. Have you changed your mind on this? Do you no longer cycle calories with strength athletes?
    That is in a weight loss situation, which is different than this situation.